Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found supplemental fertilizer necessary for their orchids to bloom in the terrarium? If so, what type is safe for frogs? I have noticed a lot of "natural" fertilizers but to use them in a confined space might make them dangerous for the occupants.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Lance said:
Has anyone found supplemental fertilizer necessary for their orchids to bloom in the terrarium? If so, what type is safe for frogs? I have noticed a lot of "natural" fertilizers but to use them in a confined space might make them dangerous for the occupants.
Lance,

I have never had to use any fertilizers for my orchids in the terrarium. Then again, I never cared if they didn't flower since my primary concern was the frogs. I have kept orchids outside of the terrarium and gotten them to flower with fertilizers and then washed them off real well and placed them in with the frogs. I have heard of European dart hobbyists use bone meal and blood meal with some success. Supposedly, these are more natural fertilizers, but personally I have never tried them.

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
blooming an orchid has less to do with fertilizer and more to do with light/humidity cycles. i know that people have been able to get orchids to bloom with frogs, but i dont think that it's easy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts