Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear it can kill da frogs and I bought my plants from homedepot and they use it. I rinsed the roots off real good plus the frogs wont go in the tank for aleast a month if not longer. I mist every day and the plants are in gravel then forest bed on top of the gravel. Should I worry or change any thing?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried. I usually rinse the roots and either plant them directly in the terrarium or repot them in Eco-earth and spagnum moss. Used frog bedding is an excellant potting material since it has natural fertilizer and we dump all of our dirty frog bedding in our compost heap and garden.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I don't mean for repotting the plants i use in my tanks, just the ones I have as houseplants. I always repot the stuff I buy at nuseries since it is usually root bound. I wouldn't put dirty frog litter in my frog tanks.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
a note...

If a plant you have reported would get planted in a terrarium, even if you washed off ALL the dirt, the chance of transmission is still there. My response was more of a warning for everyone, vs directed towards you.

We also used to use this practice, now we do not. All plants are potted in a new soil/terrarium mix. The contents are allowed to dry out for 3-4 months, then we dump the contents outside.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Frogs, dead ff's = fertilizer.... just give it a little time...

Beriss said:
I hear it can kill da frogs and I bought my plants from homedepot and they use it. I rinsed the roots off real good plus the frogs wont go in the tank for aleast a month if not longer. I mist every day and the plants are in gravel then forest bed on top of the gravel. Should I worry or change any thing?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my point was putting my plants in a tank with dart frogs kill them? I washed there roots and plant them a month in advance should all the toxic stuff be gone by then? :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
shower!

I jsut take my plants out of the pots they come in, get the vast majority of the dirt off the roots, and lay them in the shower. Turn the shower on with lukewarm water for about 15 minutes to rinse them, and plant.

I have not yet had a problem with this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
shower? why the shower? my girlfriend would kill me if i was washing plants in the bathroom or the kitchen. is there a specific purpose for the shower, or is it just your way?

·
Registered
720 Posts
We have a shower devoted to herp use. The house we live in has 3 full bathrooms as well as two extra bathtubs. It is an odd house. But we have an extra shower that is right by my herp room and so we clean cages in it and shower chameleons. We also shower our plants in there. It is nice. We have to clean it constantly between animals, but luckily a little bleach and a quick rinse and you're in business! When I have an actual storefront I want a utility sink and a shower.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am in big trouble right now because I kept washing plants in the kitchen sink. I got as much dirt off as I could but I guess some of the little styrofoam balls, I hate those balls, clogged up the drain :oops: that he now has to fix.
I keep telling him that I didn't do it, that I used the utility sink downstairs but I am sure that once he opens up that pipe and all those little balls come falling out I will be busted :twisted:
I do, however, always use the bleach afterwards.
Rhonda

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea, my new place has a huge utility sink with a 6" drain that drops straight to the big pipes, so i am excited about that. only problem is that it's in the basement and the frog room is going to be upstairs. lots of walking, but i need the exercise anyway =)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts