Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for rare/unusual fern suggestions that fit the following ridiculously specific requirements :D
Note: NOT for a pdf viv. Is for partially open-top paludarium

• Can grow in temps upper 60's to low 70's
  • Has the "typical" pinnate fern frond look (NOT oval, round, or straplike)
  • Epiphytic / can be grown in sphagnum attached to background
  • Max frond length/size: 2-3 inches
  • Moderate growth rate (not a lot of space in tank so don't want rampant beast :) )

As stated, I'm not interested in oval/round/strap leaves, not interested in Microgramma, Lemmaphyllum, etc (Already have them, plus the Microgramma grows like crap at the cooler temps I am providing). As silly as it sounds, I want a "fern looking" fern :p

I know this is pretty specific, but I know there must be some ferns out there which fit these criteria (despite the fact that they are probably super hard to find).

Sources would also be appreciated, including dendroboard members willing to sell from their collection

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I'd be interested in some as well...I love ferns indoors and out and have grown lots from sori--but the little ones would be great for my purposes as well...

·
Registered
969 Posts
Bolbitis heteroclita or Edanyoa difformis. Not sure which is currently the accepted name.
Small and easy to grow. Not the fastest growing fern, but it does produce a lot of fernlets on the tips of the old fronds, so in a year or two you can make a nice colony.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
i don't know about the temp ranges or size, but Davalia repens is epyphytic and looks like a fern

I'm looking for rare/unusual fern suggestions that fit the following ridiculously specific requirements :D
Note: NOT for a pdf viv. Is for partially open-top paludarium

• Can grow in temps upper 60's to low 70's
  • Has the "typical" pinnate fern frond look (NOT oval, round, or straplike)
  • Epiphytic / can be grown in sphagnum attached to background
  • Max frond length/size: 2-3 inches
  • Moderate growth rate (not a lot of space in tank so don't want rampant beast :) )

As stated, I'm not interested in oval/round/strap leaves, not interested in Microgramma, Lemmaphyllum, etc (Already have them, plus the Microgramma grows like crap at the cooler temps I am providing). As silly as it sounds, I want a "fern looking" fern :p

I know this is pretty specific, but I know there must be some ferns out there which fit these criteria (despite the fact that they are probably super hard to find).

Sources would also be appreciated, including dendroboard members willing to sell from their collection

1 - 7 of 7 Posts