Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have a bryophyte thread, a flower thread, a foliage thread and a liverwort thread, why not a fern thread?

I'll start this off with a couple of mine
Davallia sp with white rhizomes
Root Plant Tree
Flower Plant Terrestrial plant Ferns and horsetails Fern
Davallia sp with black rhizomes
Branch Twig Plant Tree Plant stem
Plant Leaf Terrestrial plant Flower Vascular plant
Microsorum sp
Flower Plant Leaf Flowering plant Houseplant
Flower Leaf Plant Flowering plant Leaf vegetable
Doryopteris pedata
Flower Plant Leaf Houseplant Vascular plant
Flower Terrestrial plant Plant Houseplant Leaf

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Polypodium polypodioides (Resurrection Ferns)

Polypodium formosanum (ET Ferns)

I guess I've never taken a picture of my Korean Rock Ferns or my White Rabbit's Foot Ferns.

Ferns are easily my favorite vivarium plant, so I'm looking forward to this thread.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I received this filmy fern, from a lady who got it from another lady, who got it from someone else. By the time it got to me it had a completely unrecognizable name. lol So I'm still unsure as to what it is, but I love it anyway. The fronds are more translucent than the picture depicts. Each puffy frond is about 2 inches.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I received this filmy fern, from a lady who got it from another lady, who got it from someone else. By the time it got to me it had a completely unrecognizable name. lol So I'm still unsure as to what it is, but I love it anyway. The fronds are more translucent than the picture depicts. Each puffy frond is about 2 inches.

What kind of culture does these like? Are they epiphytic?

·
Registered
969 Posts
This particular filmy doesn't seem to be too particular, as others can be. I don't know anything about this one, but my guess would be it is epiphytic. It grows easily (but slowly) in sphagnum or tied to wood. The substrate needs to be constantly damp, but not sodden. It also needs high humidity, but doesn't want to always be wet. It grows best in medium light. So lower down in the tank, but not in the substrate seems to meet these multiple criteria well.

·
Registered
739 Posts
This particular filmy doesn't seem to be too particular, as others can be. I don't know anything about this one, but my guess would be it is epiphytic. It grows easily (but slowly) in sphagnum or tied to wood. The substrate needs to be constantly damp, but not sodden. It also needs high humidity, but doesn't want to always be wet. It grows best in medium light. So lower down in the tank, but not in the substrate seems to meet these multiple criteria well.
Cool, thanks for this info. That's a fern I might check around for. I should find and join one or more fern forums if I can find any, as I bet there will be plenty of sources for this and other ferns that would be good for my paludarium.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Here is a fern cluster I set up in my Summersi viv. It has Lecanopteris Sinuosa (the largest leafed one), Microgramma Reptans, (the smalles leafed one with the vine extending to the right), and Microgramma Vaccinifolia (the longer, skinnier leafed one on the left).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts