Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found it at a local nursery...

seems to have a small rhizome, though i havent really looked too much...

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I have to agree. Took a look again, and looked up Manurans suggestion.
It is a nice looking fern for sure

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hey Jason,
You are actually correct too. :) It was Phyllitis, then got put into synonymy with Asplenium, but I believe there was a leaning back towards ressurecting Phyllitis. Anyway baobab, if you look up either, there is a lot of info. It's a temperate species and can take really low temps. I don't keep this species, so I don't know how it would do in a viv. But my guess would be that in the long run you may have temperature and constant high humidity issues.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I have a couple of varieties of that fern in one of my shade gardens...a variety of the family commonly called "Hart's Tongue." Its hardy here in Maryland, but probably not up there...but if you really like it for outside, keep it in a pot and sink in the ground for the "season". Indoors, it probably-but not necessarily- would not thrive...if its sorta cheap, try it and let us know it likes "captivity."

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, apparently it's native to this area (although rare, and a couple different forms) so I think I'll try it outside instead :p maybe I'll do a test run in a spare tank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts