Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well at least i'm pretty sure it's a fern. New growth comes out as little curled up whatchamacallits (yes that is a technical term). Picked it up at the local greenhouse today along with some cryptanthus, but the employees there didn't know a single thing about this plant. It was in the "terrarium plants" section with other viv compatible plants. Since they didn't know what it was or how to care for it, they gave me a good deal and took a few bucks off the price. Here are some pictures.

Leaf Closeup

New growth

sorry about the bad pictures they were taken w/ my cell. I do not currently own a working camera haha.

So does anybody know what this is? And more importantly, is it viv compatible?? Thanks in advance!

Ryan

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
I would go with a young Phyllitis scolopendrium. Not too many single-bladed ferns.

Richard.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. Seeing it gets 2 foot high, i think it'll stay out of the viv :p

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Ryan,

Phyllitis is also native to temperate areas of the U.S. and Eurasia, so I don't believe it would have performed well in a vivarium. It is still a lovely plant (and the U.S. subspecies is federally-endangered!) A shaded garden spot would be perfect for it.

Good luck with it, Richard.

thanks guys. Seeing it gets 2 foot high, i think it'll stay out of the viv :p

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good idea! i really do love the look of this plant when it gets older and bigger now that i know what it is. hopefully it will grow well for me outside. It's interesting that such a small local greenhouse would carry an endangered plant and not know anything about it haha. Anyways, thanks again for your help. Much appreciated!

Ryan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts