Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working out in the Dart Den when I noticed Big Moma Hauss from a side view. My jaw just about dropped! :shock: She has always been the plumpest of my females and on average lays 5-6 eggs a clutch. This is just insane though.

I doubt she is egg bound because she just laid a 5 egg clutch last night or today and is still feeding several tads. Should I be concerned? I don't really feed them too much only 1-2 times a week. Should I consider pulling the male for a while or would this be detrimental because she wouldn't feed tads or lay eggs and become bound?

I could offer more laying sites as I think the tads should be morphing out any day now (can't see them but other tads in other tanks are emerging from their broms.)

any other thoughts?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I really hope she is not impacted! I lost one of my Vanzos that way.:(

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Is there a way to tell is she is bound? Is there anything I can do if she is? If one ovary was obstructed wouldnt she be swollen on one side more than the other or no?

I will keep a closer eye on her.
I'm not sure, but if she is impacted within her digestive system, that would not apply. I'm afraid I have no good news for you. I can give you a cut and paste of what Dr. Frye told me and I can show you a pic of ours about a week before he passed.

Hello Dr. Frye,
I am an online aquantance of your brother, Rich. I have a question for you please. I have a problem with a Vanzolini frog. He is the dominant male of a group of 5. He has been getting extremely fat. So fat that I cannot believe he is still alive. He can no longer climb and hangs out on the floor. The other 4 appear to be in good health. There are no problems with any of the other thumbnails or Pumilio I am keeping. I believe that he is most likely impacted and that there is not much that I can do for him. Any ideas about this? I am unaware of any vets in the Denver, Colorado area that would be qualified to look at him.
Thank you for your time,
Doug
Doug,
A hugely bloated frog is a bad thing, but it can be caused by many different conditions. Impaction, infection, organ failure, cancer, parasites, etc. This is one symptom of a serious problem that is nearly impossible to diagnose or treat remotely. I wish I had better advice for you, but too many different conditions can cause this.
Have you had your collection tested for parasites?

Sincerely,
David M. Frye, DVM

I really hope that your outcome is better than ours was.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts