Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 2 P. vittatus(as many of you may know/remember). One is an adult and assuredly female. The other is a male( I am almost sure), but a victim of Short Femur Syndrome, and is relatively imobile comparatively. I have No desire to breed these 2. The female is quite healthy in the middle, if you know what I mean...? I am wondering will she lay a clutch of infertile eggs if she has produced them based on her captive conditions(without calling from the male, etc), or is there a risk of becoming eggbound as in other species.... I know newts that produce eggs, and have no male, will resorb the eggs and process them as nutrition back into thier system. Is it the same for Darts? She has a deposition site(a few), and all the humidity and food she can handle... Will she lay without fertilization, or will the eggs be safely resorbed?

On a side note, any eggs produced will be culled, Unless say Ed wants the tads as a genetic study of SFS inheritance in P. vittatus... To be honest, send me a PM and I will consult the Mods as to whether they feel it is a worthwhile study, and if YOU are Knowledged and suited to perform a Real Study. I assuredly cannot be as precise(nor trained at controlled science studies) as others here, and I certainly would be interested in the ratio and frequency that this shows up in both direct offspring, and also through several generations. It would be not only an interesting contribution for breeders to take note of, but also for the study of genetic heritage period.

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have 2 P. vittatus(as many of you may know/remember). One is an adult and assuredly female. The other is a male( I am almost sure), but a victim of Short Femur Syndrome, and is relatively imobile comparatively. I have No desire to breed these 2. The female is quite healthy in the middle, if you know what I mean...? I am wondering will she lay a clutch of infertile eggs if she has produced them based on her captive conditions(without calling from the male, etc), or is there a risk of becoming eggbound as in other species.... I know newts that produce eggs, and have no male, will resorb the eggs and process them as nutrition back into thier system. Is it the same for Darts? She has a deposition site(a few), and all the humidity and food she can handle... Will she lay without fertilization, or will the eggs be safely resorbed?

JBear
I was hoping someone would have some insight to offer...? It would be very appreciated!

Thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I wish that I could step up, but wouldn't consider myself qualified. I definately respect and understand what you are trying to do and hope that someone out there can assist you. Thank you for being an ethical keeper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts