Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is my dilemma. We have four vents now in a 10 gal vertical. The only definite sex that we know is our newest inhabitant. We got a female from a friend last week. She was HUGE! Very fat froggy! That showed us that we didn't "think" we had any other females. The other three are between 6 months to one year old. We had a pair originally and lost one of them. We didn't really know how to sex them properly so didn't know which one died. The bigger of the three in the tank is the lone one from the first pair. Now comparing it to the fat female, we think it is a male for sure. I have also seen and heard one of them calling! I think it was that one.

Sooooo...two days ago I found some eggs in one of the film canisters. Woo hoo!! NOPE! There were snails all over the eggs! :evil: They killed them, or ate them, or whatever they were doing! (Any info on that would be cool. What they were doing or how to eliminate them.) I saw two eggs, so I don't know if there were more and the snails ate them already or what. Now today I found six or seven more eggs. Got to them before the stupid snails! So, could that be from the same female, or does that tell me that there are at least two females in there?? Also, some of the eggs from today's clutch looked like they were 3/4 the size of the others. Why is that? Thanks for any help.

-Shelley

·
Registered
243 Posts
Shelley

Hey

Do not know about the snail eradication but in glad we got ma female :p After Mike left I talked to the gentleman and he said she has laid in the past for him as well..Just thought i would tell you that...Tj I have good news call me!!!!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Hello.

I have had snails crwal on eggs before but never actually eat them so that part I cannot answer for sure. However, in the past my female vents have laid a two egg clutch one day and the next day laid a 7 egg clutch. It is possible you have more than one female but my guess is that you have just one. My females usually started to lay when they were about 8-13 months old. Males are usually obviously less robust and the head tends to be more angular (my experience). I have actually had a female lay 3 eggs one day, 4 the next, and then 2 the following day = amazing!

Post a photo and I'm sure myself as well as others can aid in sexing the buggers.

have fun,

Justin

·
Registered
173 Posts
snails

As far as snails go, I would bet that they were only on the eggs if they eggs were bad. It's been suspected in freshwater fish that snails can eat eggs, but I work in a hatchery and I've only seen them on the eggs that are obviously bad (almost beneficial). I think they are attracted to the fungus that develops on bad eggs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.