Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought i would go on record with this because most people don't believe female terribilis call. In the past 2 days I have witnessed a female yellow terribilis call in response to a male. These are Frye line yellow terribilis, bred by Shawn Harrington. They laid their first known clutch about 2 weeks ago and a second tonight. The female's call is very different to the male's call. When I first heard it I thought it was a very loud male tinctorius call but since I've only got one terrarium in my living room, I knew it had to be from the terribilis. The female repeated the call a few minutes later in response to a male. Today's call was also in response to a male. It is not quite as loud as a male but it's a lower tone, almost monotone. Very much like a very loud male tinctorius only lasting about 1-1.5 seconds, if that.

I'll try to get it on video if I can, but it seems to be a rare event.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I thought i would go on record with this because most people don't believe female terribilis call. In the past 2 days I have witnessed a female yellow terribilis call in response to a male. These are Frye line yellow terribilis, bred by Shawn Harrington. They laid their first known clutch about 2 weeks ago and a second tonight. The female's call is very different to the male's call. When I first heard it I thought it was a very loud male tinctorius call but since I've only got one terrarium in my living room, I knew it had to be from the terribilis. The female repeated the call a few minutes later in response to a male. Today's call was also in response to a male. It is not quite as loud as a male but it's a lower tone, almost monotone. Very much like a very loud male tinctorius only lasting about 1-1.5 seconds, if that.

I'll try to get it on video if I can, but it seems to be a rare event.
Not really rare, happens all the time in the genus. All of my females "growl" at the boys. I like to think that they are akin to gals from Cavan, John.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Aha, this may have answered the question I was searching for answers for before starting a new thread. I have a trio of yellow terribilis (from Mworks, great frogs, plug over) that are just over a year old. I've noticed the biggest of the three occassionally calling when one of the others comes into contact with it, it's happened now and again for the last three or four months, but it's becoming more regular. Could this be a female telling the boys where to go?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bit of a thread hijack but I thought I'd ask the question here seeing as it's still a bit on-topic...

The calling from my trio has increased a lot over the last couple of weeks, I've now managed to get towards the bottom of what's going on but still uncertain as it's my first experience with terribilis. There are two similar looking frogs and a larger, slightly fatter, more orangey one, that's the one I've seen calling before. Recently I've spotted one of the smaller frogs calling with no apparent stimulus, and generally hanging around the larger one. The big one only calls when the other frog comes into contact with it, there's no real difference between the pitch of the calls that I can tell, but could this situation be a randy young male trying to sow his oats and the female resisting his advances? The third frog shows no attention to any of it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Wow John, those guys are nice! I love the call. This is the male calling in the vid, correct? Your tank looks nice as well. What size is it?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Bronz it sounds like they might all need a couple of months before you'll know the sexes 100%(they're still young right?).

Lisa I love the terribs. Yes it's the male calling in the vid. There are 2 other males in that tank too somewhere. I haven't been paying enough attention to them lately to hear the females call again. They've been pounding out the eggs though. The tank is a 40 breeder with it's own mistking system :).

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's this dang ipad. It has this autocorrect feature that turns everything into the wrong word. Terribs becomes Terries, Broms become Brooms, and Mistking becomes Mistaking. I'd turn the gosh darned thing off but it does more good than harm, marginally :p.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Lol! I feel for you.

I've got two Mint Terribs that are a little over 7 months old. Any idea how long it'll be until they start calling if they're males? I've heard they run male heavy.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have 3.2 yellows. They first tried to call at about a year old but didn't make any noise until about 16 months. Took them another 2 months for their voices to really come in. The wife hates how noisy they are but she likes the beautiful living room accent...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Wow! I figured it would be like most of the other larger frogs that start calling sometime before a year old...but 18 months before you can hear them? I guess I've got a while to go. I'm very excited to hear the first one!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just recorded a male calling and a female responding! They're in a coconut hut together. The female call is louder and harsher than I remember. It's a harsh craaak.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts