Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female Suriname Cobalt tinc has been losing weight and not eating. I removed her from the two males ( last thursday) but she has shown no signs of progress. Her hospital tank is seeded with springtales and i feed her FF a little at a time a few times a day but she shows no interest. The temps and humidity are within a reasonable range. None of my other frogs are showing any symptoms of what she may have. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,624 Posts
I'd advise getting a fecal done ASAP. I had a similar problem with one of my bicolors. The two seemed fine (still do), but the other lost all interest in food, and continued dropping weight until it died. Turns out they are riddled with parasites. I'm going to start them on panacure and metronidazole tomorrow.

G

·
I had the same problem with my Cobalt. He had a bad load of worms. The Metronidazole works wonders to get him eating. He started eating the 2nd or 3rd day I gave him the Metronidazole. He is beginning to get a belly now! Now that he will eat the flies dusted in Panacur he is well on his way to recovery.

Dawn

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Where do you get panacure and metronidazole in frog size doses? If they are not eating to begin with, how do you get them to take the medication?

Thanks,

G

·
I got both the Metronidazole and the Panacur in the mail from Dr. Frye. If the frogs are not eating they will not get any of the Panacur. It is in powder form and you dust the food with it. The Metronidazole is a liquid that you drop on the frogs back once a day to stimulate their appetites.

Dawn

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Metronidazole (Flagyl) is an anti-bacterial, not an appetite stimulant. It is used for treating bacterial and flagellated parasites.

Justin

G

·
"Apply one drop to back of froglet once daily for 10-14 days to stimulate appetite, and combat bacterial and protozoan infections"

That was taken directly from the vets Rx label. I guess it does it all. It definately helped with appetite in my situation.

Dawn

1 - 10 of 10 Posts