Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have my female Azureus with my male, they have been together a year now and have produced many good froglets. Well My female all of a sudden started to lose a lot of weight fast. I'm freaking out here. What do you guys think is wrong? My buddy told me he thinks it's bacteria.. Anyone have any suggestions of what to do? I'm going to get a fecal sample done on them. Anyone have a person they would suggest I send the fecals sent to? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Here is an email from Dr. Frye.
The cost is XXX per group of frogs housed together. Collect 3-5 feces from each group of frogs and put them in a small air-tight container with a small amount of moist paper towel to keep them from drying out. Label each tank’s sample and send them ASAP to XXXX. Try to aim for a Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday delivery. We are closed Wednesdays and Sundays, and the hospital closes on Saturdays before mail arrives. Next day delivery is ideal, but 2-day will work. You can include a check, call my hospital to pre-pay via credit card at XXX, or send me funds through Pay-Pal. Thanks.

Sincerely,
David M. Frye, DVM

I don't feel it's my place to give his pricing, phone or address in an open forum but I am PMing you.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Doug, like I said in the PM I will send him fecals Monday morning if I have to, but I was looking for someone I can send fecals to tomorrow and get results back quick. I need the fecals done ASAP!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Bradley J. Walsh DVM
2026 W Houston
Broken Arrow, OK 74012
United States

Methods of Contact

Office Phone: (918) 258-0040
Fax : (918) 258-0089

Got this arom the ARAV site

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just so everyone knows what is going on, I did take some fecal samples from her to a local vet today. She does have parasites (they found nematode eggs). I will be treating her with panacur.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Kris. I will keep you all updated. I hope she pulls through as well, she is my best breeder. I have a good feeling she will pull through. A buddy of mine have used panacur for frogs with parasites and said it really helps. I'll ALWAYS do whats best for my frogs.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Frog's can sometimes take a turn for the worse without much notice. That's why I get a fecal for all incoming new frogs. This process helps to establish a relationship with a DVM and set up a specific course of treatment.

Time is of essence. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
Yeah make sure you're treating her in QT and putting her in a new container the day after each treatment. Gotta do the same for the male since they were together, and break down the tank they were in, 10% bleach solution clean it, then rebuild with all new stuff or put them in a new one.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I still have them together since they have already been together. I don't see the necessary to separate them. Why would i need to break down their entire tank?

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
The tank is contaminated with the worms and their eggs, they also live in the soil, you'll just continually reinfect them. If you want to treat them together that's fine, put them in another container, panacur-dusted flies one day, the next day take them out and into a new container and bleach clean the dirty one, panacur-dusted flies 7 days later, new container the next day etc do it for 4 weeks

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damn it, this sucks. Do I need to get all new wood/plants and stuff also? How big of a tank do the frogs need to be in?

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
Damn it, this sucks. Do I need to get all new wood/plants and stuff also? How big of a tank do the frogs need to be in?
Yeah new EVERYTHING except the tank itself if you 10% bleach clean it (fill it 1/10th up with bleach and the rest with water, let it sit for about a half hour, wipe down the outside etc with the solution, rinse rinse rinse rinse, let it dry for a couple of days), you can keep them in any comfortable sized tanks during treatments but do the same bleach cleaning to the dirty one after you move them into a clean one the day after each weekly treatment

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The tank is a zoomed... How do I bleach that? I can't just fill it with water. Also I have a piece of wood I attached to the bottom, I need to take that out to?

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
The only thing you can keep is the tank. If you want to be really thorough, put the tank into a plastic tub or bin that's a little bigger than it and soak the tank in there - gonna take a lot more bleach and water to fill it though.

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
Probably (I don't know azureus or how your frogs are), I only keep 1 per container in those when I treat them in those though

1 - 20 of 45 Posts