Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else ever experienced aggression issues between their male and female? I have 2.1 and was shocked to see her bullying one of my males. She had her arms wrapped around him in a wrestling position as he was pushing off to get away.

We could rule out the idea that it may be 3 males because I've gotten eggs from the 3 before.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't the other male wrestling him? If your positive it was female and male could it of possibly been courting?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I am positive, both males started calling right after. It didn't look like courting behavior to me.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I've seen female on male aggression and male on female, although it is much less common than same sex fighting. With my leucs and azureus, it seems when it happens it is when they are all very excited- for example during a big feeding frenzy they all get a little crazy and sometimes wrestle a bit; I've also seen it during courtship when multiple males are calling and I think the females just get confused. With pumilio, it seems they are just naturally very territorial and sometimes the male will be calling a lot and begin wrestling when the female comes too close; maybe he gets confused and protects his territory or something else, I don't know. Regardless, it seems to be infrequent and I have never had any injuries or real problems with it.
Bryan

Reactions: frogman824

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I've seen it. Used to have 2.1 Oelemaries, the female had a preferred male that she would breed with, and did not like the other male, who she fought with (who also fought with the other male).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts