Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 40 gallon setup with 2 Dendrobates Auratus housed in it. I’ve done some research and my general question is basically what time of day is best to feed my dart frogs. I read somewhere that evening time is best. I typically work from 5-10 so I leave the house at 4:30. I would essentially end up feeding them at about 3:30 or 4. They seem to end up tucking themselves away for bed around 5:30 or 6 anyways so I guess it works out. Just wondering if I could feed them earlier than that. Thanks in advance for any responses.
-Corey

· Registered
D. Auratus "El Cope"; T. Corticale
257 Posts
I usually feed my Auratus between 5-6 PM and the light turns off at 9 pm. Usually they come out quickly once the flies are in. My Theloderma I feed after 9 pm, because they are nocturnal.

· Registered
1,519 Posts
I would say that based on these frogs being diurnal, for the most part anyway, - feeding in the morning is likely the best option. They are typically the most active early in the morning, and then late afternoon/evening.

This doesn't always work with schedules. I typically feed mine around lunch time or morning if I can. Many others feed in the evening. I'm doubtful this has much of an impact, but it certainly allows more foraging time the earlier in the day you feed them. Ideally you give them at least a couple hours before lights out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts