Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have been keeping my juvenile ranitomeya vanzolinii for two weeks now. Everything is going good, even my dad wants one for the terrarium I built for his home that currently has no inhabitant.

However, I have two questions:
1) What other sources of food besides fruitflies and springtails do I have? I provided a thick cover of substract so that I would have a fair bit of springtails and been feeding 10-15 flies per day. Do I have any other option to give as food?
2) Should I dust the fruitflies with any supllement? If so, which one?

There seems to be no information on supplements on this forum.
Thank you!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Yes you need to be feeding supplements and it should be at every feeding. As to how many flies? Depends on how your frogs are eating. If you feed in the morning and at mid day still see a few flies, but by say evening can't find any then you are doing it right for an every day feeding.

As to which supplements.. well it depends on what you have access to, not sure where you are in the world. A lot of folks feed repashy calcium plus and repashy vit a. The former every feeding and the latter once or twice a month. I feed dendrocare at every feeding and use a fruit fly media that has carotenoids.

You do not need to feed anything else other then fruit flies. There is also some reason not to feed anything else as other feeders may not have supplements stick to them as well as fruit flies. Some people argue that other feeders might be enriching to the frogs but personally I have seen no good evidence of this. For thumbnails some folks culture springtails specifically for feeding.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T
Yes you need to be feeding supplements and it should be at every feeding. As to how many flies? Depends on how your frogs are eating. If you feed in the morning and at mid day still see a few flies, but by say evening can't find any then you are doing it right for an every day feeding.

As to which supplements.. well it depends on what you have access to, not sure where you are in the world. A lot of folks feed repashy calcium plus and repashy vit a. The former every feeding and the latter once or twice a month. I feed dendrocare at every feeding and use a fruit fly media that has carotenoids.

You do not need to feed anything else other then fruit flies. There is also some reason not to feed anything else as other feeders may not have supplements stick to them as well as fruit flies. Some people argue that other feeders might be enriching to the frogs but personally I have seen no good evidence of this. For thumbnails some folks culture springtails specifically for feeding.
Thank you! I'll buy those supplements tomorrow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts