Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had this (admittedly rather strange) idea and thought I would share it here for consideration. Does anyone see any downsides or risks to feeding isopods the remnants of old fruit fly cultures? Typically what I do with an old culture is put it in the freezer for a couple days to kill everything off and then clean out and reuse the cup. What I’m considering doing is using some of the frozen/dead flies from the side of the cup (though maybe they would like the excelsior??). I know they will eat proteinaceous foods in moderation. I wouldn’t feed exclusively on this, just thinking it might be beneficial to add it to the usual vegetable scraps and bug burger, etc. Am I crazy? Is this completely unnecessary? What do you think?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Interesting idea. I suppose how sustainable this will be depends on how many cultures you freeze per unit of time and the size of your isopod culture(s) you have. Otherwise, it may be more trouble than it’d worth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I just have one dwarf purple iso culture. And I’m only thinking I’d do this whenever I clean ff cultures, probably about once every two weeks. But I suppose I could save stuff from FF cultures and feed more regularly if the results were good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts