Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got 3 azureus froglets on sunday and was wanted to know if anyone had any feeding tips. what i did was tap on the top of the fruit fly container untill they all fell down then put a cotton ball in and when some fruit flys were on the cotton ball i put the cotton ball in the tank. after i closed the flys up i shook all the fruit flys off the cotton ball and removed it from the tank. this seemed to work ok but the fruit flys scattered every where and started climbing the walls. now the frogs did eat some but most were gone before the frogs started coming to get them. so does anyone have any tips for keeping the flys in one spot for a little longer, or will the frogs get faster as they get use to their new home?

thanks, Bobby

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I get a large ziplock baggy and pour the flies into this (add dusting powder), shake, then I dump this into the vivarium. If you want the flies to stay in a certain area add a small piece of fruit (though it will soon start to rot).
Also, if you put the flies in the fridge for a few minutes it will slow them down and they won't scatter so quickly.

-Tad

·
Registered
230 Posts
You don't have to worry too much about the froggies not getting all the flies in one sitting. If the fruit flies get away, they will have something to hunt later on. This will help keep your frogs from getting lazy. Also remember that in nature they forage food throughout the day, unlike us humans who usually eat a lot at one time. So if they don't get them all they will have snacks later one.

I put all my flies into a deli container and add the powder to them. Then I go along and feed all the tanks from that. I may do it in 2 shots to keep melanogaster and hydei separate for different frogs.

Good luck with the azureas.

-Ben

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have a cool method that works great, so i will share.
i have my cultures in deli containers, so when it's time to feed, i turn it upside down and shake so all the flies are at the top, where the lid meets the container and just crack the lid a little bit and pour the flies into a separate container that has a good layer of dust on the bottom. I shake up the dust to coat the flies and then pour the whole mixture into a fine wire strainer and shake the excess dust back into the dusting container. then you just pop the lid and dump in well coated flies and no extra dust!

this helps conserve the vitamin dust as well as keeping it out of the tank.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen something in an ad for crickets, and was thinking It might be easy enough to make for ff. Its a small container with a cricket sized hole (container looks like a rock). you put crickets/dust inside shake it up and then set the whole thing inside the tank. I'm trying to think of a similiar way to make soemthing for fruit flies, that looks natural.

-Tad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i got a couple of azureus froglets a while ago and they eat about 25 each twice a day. is this weird cuz normally froglets are fed 10 each a couple times a day, right?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Most animals will eat as much food as you give them. Be carefull not to overfeed. keep them chunky but not overweight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its weird for as much as my frogs eat they never seem to gain any weight, infact they seem kind of skinny(not overly skinny, just not chunky). i feed them a good variety of food too.

·
Registered
545 Posts
What kind of frogs do you have? My new river tincs never got big (but i think there was something wrong w/ them)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the frogs in discussion are azureus, its not that they arent growin, cuz they are. its jus that it amazes me how much they eat without getting chunky.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Haha yea, ok just makin sure we're still talkin about azureus. Although this applies to most frogs (I would assume). Theoretically, the more you feed a frog, the bigger, happier, more likely to breed it will get, BUT the thread in the advanced forums suggests differently. So maybe you're feeding them the perfect amount!! I was watching the Animal Planet show "The Most Extreme" and they were featuring insane eaters. PDF's were number 3 in the top 10 countdown, which I thought was pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
If your frogs are eating a lot of food, but appear skinny, get a feces sample taken, and check for parasites. These can cause a frog to never fatten up. They are a lot more common thanyou would think also. Just a thought,

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ed,
As a precaution i get fecals done on every new animal i get. i believe this is a must and any one who is serious about there animals should too (in my own opinion).

Oh ya, the frogs are clean, and thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Trey said:
its weird for as much as my frogs eat they never seem to gain any weight, infact they seem kind of skinny(not overly skinny, just not chunky). i feed them a good variety of food too.
You may want to add a higher calorie food item to their diet. Ff are a good staple but aren't the best for putting weight on large frogs. Good weight gaining feeder insects include:

termites
waxworms
rice flour beetle larvae
well fed pinhead crickets

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brock,
as i stated before i feed my darts a large variety of insects, which includes all of the afor-mentioned, as well as others.
none the less i do appreciate the thought, its always nice to know that there are people out there willing to help.

also my frogs seem healthy and *happy.* i just thought that it is interesting that my frogs are eating machines and yet they dont get obese.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
That's what I get for just skimming the posts. I personally think a lot of frogs in captivity are on the obese side anyway. You already took care of the important part by making sure they are clear of parasites.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts