Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 6 leucs and the guy I have bought fruit flies from locally told me he had an outbreak of mites the day before I had planned on getting them from him. I have ordered some from joshsfrogs.com but they wont be arriving untill about tuesday or wednesday. I have called every pet store and bait shop anywhere near here and nobody has fruit flies or pinhead crickets. I am at a loss for what to do. I was wondering if anyone on here lives anywhere near winston salem north carolina or has any ideas as to what I can do. Thanks for any help everyone

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good afternoon,

MITES can be a serious issue so be careful when feeding your animals as to not infest your tank if you don't already know that. Now I know your looking for feeder insects ASAP and that's what I have, however, I would need to ship them. Keep me posted on your situation as I'm always looking to help those in need.

If you have any other questions or need anything at all feel free to contact me.

Preston Breece
954-547-8412
SouthEasternFruitFlies.com

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I'm afraid I have to disagree. Show me a viv without mites and I will show you a viv that was only built last week! 99.9% of all vivs have mites. It is inevitable. What you have to watch out for is contamination of your cultures. Personally, I would contact your last supplier and ask for some of the contaminated cultures at a steep discount. Store them well away from where you intend to keep your "real" cultures. You can feed out of those, BUT, you will need to quickly acquire some clean cultures to continue culturing out of.
The cultures are most likely contaminated with a grain mite or a detritus mite. If he says that they are contaminted with a predator mite then disregard my advice to use them. Predator mites are a headache you don't want. You will know they are predator mites by watching and seeing if they are attacking and eating the flies or larvae. Predator mites seem to be much rarer in the hobby. I have personally never run across them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts