Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried feeding other darts infertile eggs to obligate tads? I am wondering specifically for locals that have notoriously bad parents such as blue jeans. I have heard of success with letting other locals foster the tads or egg clutches, but that sometimes doesn't work. I was considering feeding my infertile anthonyi eggs to some more common pumilio tads to give it a shot and try to come up with something positive. Any thoughts?
Will

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Search for some posts on raising obligates using surrogate parents by username rmelancon here; he's posted a bit on this subject raising pumilio and other obligates (sylvaticus I believe) using other pumilio and if I remember correctly I think he's tried using auratus eggs with some limited success.
Bryan

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Has anyone ever tried fish (mosquito fish or guppies maybe) eggs?
I have not heard of anyone using fish eggs but there are examples of people using other taxa (like Cynops) but in all of those cases the eggs were not taken unless the membranes are removed. Different taxa of amphibians, fish, have different numbers and toughness of membranes protecting the eggs (as well as potential differences in olfaction)... So far in the few anecdotal reports of attempts using other taxa, the membranes had to be removed manually (using a microscope) as the tadpoles either did not recognize them as a food source or could not penetrate the membrances and then offered to the tadpoles.

Ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts