Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to have a live planted viv for either dart frogs or tree frogs! I was wondering, How do you live feed a frog and not worry about impactation from the eco earth?:eek::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Help!

·
Registered
212 Posts
By having a think layer of leaf litter over your substrate. This also affords additional hiding spots, making the frogs feel safe and allowing you to see them more often. In the forum there's a great beginner's area with quite a bit of excellent information. Check it out :)
Melissa

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
plus in the leaf liter and below will allow springtails and isopods to hide/breed and provide an additional food source for your frog/s.

·
Registered
446 Posts
They will also live in your false bottom or leca.. one of my false bottom tanks has like a cm of water in the bottom and a little dirt that fell through. The top is just covered with springtails. As far as damaging.. (I think thats the question) most feeders only eat algae or mold, leaf litter thats breaking down, pretty much dead or decaying matter etc. So they are actually beneficial to keeping your tank clean.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
There are some ingredients in some substrates that may lead to impaction in a dart frog. Coco-fiber (EcoEarth) is not one of them.

·
Registered
19,354 Posts
And with some substrates (clay) you want that option to be present...

Ed

·
Registered
19,354 Posts
Impaction is where so much of something is ingested that it prevents the gastrointestional system from being able to pass the material. It is a life threatening issue. Documented impactions in anurans are fairly uncommon in the literature and typically reported for frogs or toads kept on gravel and fed in a manner that encourages them to ingest the gravel.

Ed

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
same thing as humans as i was thinking, but in the frogs correct. thanks for the info. so are you saying that gravel as a substrate can encourage this>

·
Registered
19,354 Posts
same thing as humans as i was thinking, but in the frogs correct. thanks for the info. so are you saying that gravel as a substrate can encourage this>
It is more the manner of feeding than the presence/absence of gravel. If you fed the frogs with tweezers in a manner that prevented them from eating the gravel with the food item, then they will never impact despite being kept on gravel.

Ed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts