Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any reason why I should not feed the BEETLES to my frogs. My problem is that I have almost more beetles than I do larvae. This doesn't really make sense because I figure the more beetles the more larvae, but it isn't true. Is there any way to get more larvae and less beetles? I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Well...

Hi....
My tinctorius group frogs do not accept adult beetles, but some people I know do in fact feed their frogs adults. I would caution on feeding too many as they are high in chitin (or exoskeleton) and I would be concerned about impaction problems. Oddly enough I cannot ever recall ever hearing about it happening with heavy rice flour beetle feedings, but I'm sure its a risk. The beetles breed in cycles, so it is very possible that you have mostly adults and not all larva. But its the larva that you want.

I keep mine in a large and deep rubbermaid container. I have about 6" of flour in my container. A few times a month I will scoop up some flour/beetle mix with a wire mesh flour sifter and shake out all the flour. I will usually have a left over mix of adults and larva. Instead of picking out the larva with tweezers as I used to do. I place the flour sifter over a bowl and let it sit for a few minutes. During that time I find that the larva have squirmed out of the wire mesh sifter, and into my bowl. I do get a few adults and some flour in the mix so I empty my sifter and pour the contents of the bowl into the sifter and repeat the process. The second time I have about 90% larva and 10% adults and very little flour. I then proceed to dusting and feeding. Thats how I do it.
More than you asked for, but I hope my two cents help you none the less.
Dave

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the reply. I didn't know they breed in cycles, maybe they are just taking a break. I too use the pick them out with tweezer method, mainly because I'm impatient, maybe I'll try your method instead. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts