Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
D. Auratus "El Cope"
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if D. Auratus will take firebrat as a feeder insect?
I am currently feeding mostly Melanogaster and some Hydei as well as occasionally reseeding with springtails to make sure there is always sufficient food available. I am thinking about diversifying the options a bit more and also like the idea that you can have a feeder with more consistent production in case my fly cultures crash.

·
Registered
Mantella baroni, Dendrobates auratus, Afrixalus dorsalis, Theloderma corticale
282 Posts
With the exception of my mossy frogs (because they are too big), all of my frogs including auratus love firebrats. They are one of the feeders which encites the most enthusiasm from my frogs and it is not an exaggeration to say that they gorge themselves on firebrats if given the chance.

I definitely would not call aphids "better" food, as firebrats can be gutloaded/cultured in a way that allows them to have a positive calcium/phosphorus ratio, on top of containing decent amounts of vitamin D. Neither of these is possible with pea aphids. Aphids are good feeder insects in their own right, just different.

For me, firebrats so far have been easy to culture and very low-maintenance. I use them as a backup staple together with a few other bugs.

·
Registered
610 Posts
With the exception of my mossy frogs (because they are too big), all of my frogs including auratus love firebrats. They are one of the feeders which encites the most enthusiasm from my frogs and it is not an exaggeration to say that they gorge themselves on firebrats if given the chance.

I definitely would not call aphids "better" food, as firebrats can be gutloaded/cultured in a way that allows them to have a positive calcium/phosphorus ratio, on top of containing decent amounts of vitamin D. Neither of these is possible with pea aphids. Aphids are good feeder insects in their own right, just different.

For me, firebrats so far have been easy to culture and very low-maintenance. I use them as a backup staple together with a few other bugs.
I would be interested in culturing firebrats as supplemental food for my smaller frogs... How do you culture them? I've tried culturing silverfish in the past with no success.

·
Registered
57 Posts

I did not mean better in terms off nutricional value, more in terms of a bit more easy to culture. And getting an portion and the supply's needed to start with. At least that is my opinion after having both for several years. Firebrats can be a bit harder to come by. And need an somewhat special onclosure to actually start multiplying. Aphids dont need that, a plant some aphids and go.
Only needs a steady supply of plants to culture them a mass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts