Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me some better ideas on what I can feed my red eyes? I am so sick of having to go to the reptile shop to get crickets. And also my cat can't seem to leave the crickets alone! So I would like to. Get something that I can breed easily. I was thinking some kind of beetle or something along those lines. Thanks for any help in advance!

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Dubai roaches
Dubias aren't something I would suggest as the main diet.. for one thing, they can have very high levels of stored uric acid which can cause issues for the consuming animals.....

Some comments

Ed

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Can anyone give me some better ideas on what I can feed my red eyes? I am so sick of having to go to the reptile shop to get crickets. And also my cat can't seem to leave the crickets alone! So I would like to. Get something that I can breed easily. I was thinking some kind of beetle or something along those lines. Thanks for any help in advance!
How much work are you willing to put into the rearing? The most common reared beetles may not be accepted due to small size (bean beetles) or contain substances that result in bad tastes (Mealworm Beetles).

Have you considered simply setting up an enclosure and purchasing crickets every few weeks?

Some comments

Ed

·
Registered
553 Posts
wax moths are easily taken, but my main staple is Icrickets trap larger moths as a treat.. in the summer months.

Peter Keane

1 - 6 of 6 Posts