Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first build and will be see through on three sides, feedback would be much appreciated t
The back is sculpted styrofoam and dry lock, tinted with quikerte pigment
The drift wood is just random pieces form my collection that have been used in a variety of fish tanks.coco bark is there to hide silicone plus a rooting spot
Plant layout is for plenty of space for broms and then low light plants on bottom,
Any I could do better for this species?
Wood Extinction Fossil Art Rib
Twig Wood Art Driftwood Metal

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You've done a great job creating extra space with the hardscape.
Thank you, it took some trial and error but I think I finally got to where I want it, as well as make it functional
I know this species is active both in the ground floor and up higher, plus they love their bromeliads. So I also wanted to provide ample room for planting a few of smaller species of those as well

·
Registered
763 Posts
It looks really good. I'd try and find another piece of wood to prop up or a large broadleaf plant for the left side. It looks like there is a lot of negative space still there?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks really good. I'd try and find another piece of wood to prop up or a large broadleaf plant for the left side. It looks like there is a lot of negative space still there?
My plan was to plant something with large broad leaves there , so you read my mind. I want to make sure there is a lot of ground cover/ hides, as it was read it makes this species more comfortable

·
Registered
763 Posts
My plan was to plant something with large broad leaves there , so you read my mind. I want to make sure there is a lot of ground cover/ hides, as it was read it makes this species more comfortable
I wouldn't worry about hides. They'll either hide in the leaf litter or in broms. And in-between a couple large leaves. Anywhere they can't be seen. But they don't really use things like coco huts like larger frogs do.

Reactions: Cgthebeast34

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wouldn't worry about hides. They'll either hide in the leaf litter or in broms. And in-between a couple large leaves. Anywhere they can't be seen. But they don't really use things like coco huts like larger frogs do.
I only have my own limited experience with imitators to draw on, but I've put hides of one kind or another in both of my vivs and they get used all the time as places of retreat. I tend to build little hides into my hardscape at the base of whatever cork "stump" I have in there. Seems to me that both my males and females will retreat to the hide just like they will to a favorite brom. So as has been said, probably not necessary by any means if you have other cover for them. But I get the feeling my frogs appreciate their hides as well. :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
I only have my own limited experience with imitators to draw on, but I've put hides of one kind or another in both of my vivs and they get used all the time as places of retreat. I tend to build little hides into my hardscape at the base of whatever cork "stump" I have in there. Seems to me that both my males and females will retreat to the hide just like they will to a favorite brom. So as has been said, probably not necessary by any means if you have other cover for them. But I get the feeling my frogs appreciate their hides as well. :)
I should have probably mentioned that I've got four or five open cork tubes attached to my background and I use those in every build. So I guess I have more hides than I gave the impression of. But I have four variabilis that like to sleep on ground level and they all just burrow into the leaves or hide down inside a patch of plants. I could see some overturned nut pods or monkey pods being appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should have probably mentioned that I've got four or five open cork tubes attached to my background and I use those in every build. So I guess I have more hides than I gave the impression of. But I have four variabilis that like to sleep on ground level and they all just burrow into the leaves or hide down inside a patch of plants. I could see some overturned nut pods or monkey pods being appreciated.
Yup, I don’t want to use a coconut hide, because it’s large and sticks out a bit much. Plan was to order monkey pods/ other botoncals as well as use large magnolia leaves

·
Registered
289 Posts
You could also add a U-shaped few cork tubes as "bridges" above the substrate. If they are empty you'd be tripling the available floor space in the area they'd cover (the original "ground", inside of the tube, top of the tube).

My southerns love hanging out in or around them and having somewhere "solid" to retreat to frankly makes them more bold. If you position them strategically you may even be able to see inside them...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts