Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a mix of foods depending on the tads.A good quality color enhancing fish food,Spirulina (depending on tads),Frozen blood worms,Glass worms,and fruit flies dusted when their front legs start to pop.I haven't read of anyone using glass worms (mosquito larvae) which I would think would be a natural food source for them.They really seem to like them and I have had good success with them.
So what works for you?
Lou

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I use P-Pel spirulina-enriched sinking pellets, ground into powder, available from brineshrimpdirect.com. These likely have less ash and are more nutritionally complete than other tadpole bites available. I also supplement with spirulina powder at each feeding.

Some frozen bloodworms can carry parasites, so maybe heat or dry them as a precaution, or use a brand that does not have those.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Cyclop-eez in the form of tetra brand micro crabs. Lots of success with this as my only tAd food, and a good color enhancer to boot

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I bought a huge container of it about a year ago from my LFS. I would be bummed to hear that it was discontinued, I love the stuff. Once mine is all gone, I don't know what I'll use. Probably spirulina and some other food containing xanthins

·
Premium Member
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cyclop-eez in the form of tetra brand micro crabs. Lots of success with this as my only tAd food, and a good color enhancer to boot
I've been looking for them,but I haven't been able to find them yet.

Some frozen bloodworms can carry parasites, so maybe heat or dry them as a precaution, or use a brand that does not have those.
I use the same brand all the time and haven't had any problems with them so I'm sure they're fine. How would you heat them sufficiently enough to kill parasites but not make them mush?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I use the same brand all the time and haven't had any problems with them so I'm sure they're fine. How would you heat them sufficiently enough to kill parasites but not make them mush?
Instead of doing that, get the Hikari kind. I do believe my freshwater fish got anchor worms from the off-brand worms, but I'm not entirely sure...Here's what I found out about them:

feed Hikari because of their 100% safe bloodworm sterilization process. This is what it says on the Hikari frozen bloodworms: Bio-pure blood worms are excellent for all types of tropical fish. Three-step sterilization ensures unequalled product quality - no harmful bacteria, parasites, or foul odors.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I feed New Life Spectrum Pellets (1 mm size), Frozen cyclopeeze, Frozen Blood Worms. There are also some copepods and other things in their containers which I'm sure they eat too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Frog and tadpole bites as a staple, some fish flakes, some bloodworms, daphnia as an indicator and live food (if they can catch them)

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Instead of doing that, get the Hikari kind. I do believe my freshwater fish got anchor worms from the off-brand worms, but I'm not entirely sure...Here's what I found out about them:

I'm not sure that this is a route that Lernaea can infect fish.. I don't think that they can survive being frozen.

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Mitch,I still can't find the cyclopeeze,Where do you get yours?So far I have 2 morphlings from your little ones:D
Lou

I feed New Life Spectrum Pellets (1 mm size), Frozen cyclopeeze, Frozen Blood Worms. There are also some copepods and other things in their containers which I'm sure they eat too.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
I use human grade Spirulina for all my tads and have had no cases of sls.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Hey Mitch,I still can't find the cyclopeeze,Where do you get yours?So far I have 2 morphlings from your little ones:D
Lou
Nice! I get it at the local fish store... most fish stores should have it. I think I've even seen it at PetCo.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I use Formula One fish flakes by Ocean Nutrition. It is one of the highest quality flake foods available. Check out how most of the first ingredients listed are nutritious meats instead of cheap fillers.
Ingredients
  Salmon fillets, Euphasia pacifica plankton, squid, wheat germ, tuna eggs, Euphasia superba plankton, wheat flour, sea clams, kelp, adult brine shrimp, brine shrimp nauplii, soya-lecithin, MPAXTM (Marine Protein Amino eXtract: fish meals, select amino acids (DL-Arginine, L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, Betaïne, TL-Tryptophan)), vitamins (ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), biotin (Vitamin H), Vitamin B12, riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), tocopherol acetate (vitamin E), panthotenic acid (Vitamin B5), menadione (Vitamin K3), folacin (Vitamin B9), cholicalciferol (Vitamin D3), niacin (Vitamin B3), retinol (Vitamin A1), pyridoxine (Vitamin B6)), minerals (potassium iodide, iron oxide, manganese sulfate, magnesium oxide, zinc sulfate), ethoxyquin, carotenoid pigments.

I also use Cyclop Eeze in the freeze dried form. The wafers are another good choice. And of course the frozen like Mitch mentioned but that's just a bit too much hassle for me. CYCLOP-EEZE®: Product Info Make sure you get the Cyclop Eeze and not the knock off, "Cyclops", by San Francisco Bay. It is NOT the same thing at all! Here is a good place to get it online. Liquid Life Cyclop-eeze Whole Freeze-Dried 30 Gram

I also use some good old fashioned Spirulina and Chlorella in the mix.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Where does that link show the can survive being frozen? Or that a temperature is listed?

Ed

·
Registered
3,152 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Yea !! I went to the pet trade show in Atlantic city today and snagged myself some cyclopeeze and mysis shrimp.I will be adding these to my tad feedings.
Lou
Nice! I haven't tried mysis yet for tads. I hear it is best to rinse them once they're thawed because the water they're in isn't very good to mix with your tad water (it contains his nitrates or something along those lines).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts