Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to add a fan to my viv and was wondering if people did anything to try and conseal it? Like paint it black (if you have white pvc) or cover it in silicone and peat. Also where do people generally position it? Back pointing to the front or vise versa. Pics welcomed.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I consealed mine inside ductwork, inside a rooty tree structure, inside my tank lol. Just click the link in my signature and you can check it out.

Most people just mount them to the glass top and put mesh over the blade area. Some also will incase them around pvc parts, then cover everything in silicone/coco. Just search "DYI internal air fans" and something good should come up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GRIMM: Yea I've seen your build. It's going to be sweet! Just goes to show what some simple planning and a thought out design can create.

james67: Sadly, I don't have anywhere around here that sells cork rounds (or any cork really) I thought of breaking up a piece of cork I have and siliconing the bits to the pvc but I don't know how good that would look.

I spray painted the pvc black. I'll probably just leave it like that. If I want to silicone/peat or coco over it, it can always be done later. A few other methods I brainstormed were using GS around it or silicone/peat and draping some moss over it. But I realized if I wanted to access the fan, I'd have to cut it out of the GS and the moss could possibly grow into the screen or fan plus I'd have to keep the moss wet. Water + electicity = bad! Well off to drill the glass for the fan. Wish me luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts