Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I just purchased a fan controller, a 40mm fan, and a power supply on amazon. It's set up and works well, but I have a few questions after having it run for the day.

First, the fan is on the lowest setting, yet the front glass (where the fan is pointed) is still clear. At first, that sentence reads weird, because the whole point of fans is to have clear glass (in addition to providing fresh air for certain plants). But I'm worried that this fan may be removing too much humidity. I don't have a hydrometer to test this, but it feels less humid than normal when I put my hand in. The fan is simply sucking new air from outside the tank and pushing it in, and the old air is (most likely) exiting via the front slits (this is an exo terra tank). My question is, should I modify the setup so that it's just re-circulating air, rather than pulling in fresh air? I've seen this setup on a number of tanks and I can definitely pull it off, but I'd have to go buy some more PVC - not a big deal, though.

Second, instead of recirculation, should I just put the fan on a timer and have it run a few times a day at most?

Third, if I do the recirculation, will the front glass remain clear, or no?

Fourth, with recirculation, do I have to worry about the water from the air re-condensing in the PVC and dripping out?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Generally, fans should be used to recirculate the air inside the viv. As you already noticed, using a fan to blow or suck air from outside of the viv, to the inside, will remove too much humidity. If you re-set it up to simply recirculate, you can still get clear glass without removing the humidity.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright will do. Shouldn't be too difficult. What about water condensing in the recirculation tube?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
It won't be a problem if you run the fan all the time. It may get some condensation if you cycle on and off but it shouldn't matter as long as we are talking about low voltage (12 v) fans. We run them while the misters are on all the time.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I am going to be using these in my own 18 x 18 x 24"
Should help with the Masdevallia orchids (at least I hope... by keeping more air moving.)

Plan to use on timers....
Don't feel they need wind on them 24/7.

I will probably have on 1/2 hour every 2 hours during the day.
(not while misters are on.:eek:)
Positioned up near the top pointing down.

And then maybe on 15 min. just once or twice over night.

I will put up pics after I "camo" one out with gorilla glue and moss.:D

Todd

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/sponsor-classifieds/77041-air-circulation-new-year.html

Attachments

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Venutus1--are those fans a direct plug in to an outlet, timer, controller?? what size hole do you think would be needed in a top for whatever electric would be running it?? Sounds better than canned beer ... an easy solution to us electrically challenged people... great idea...thanks...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Venutus1--are those fans a direct plug in to an outlet, timer, controller?? what size hole do you think would be needed in a top for whatever electric would be running it?? Sounds better than canned beer ... an easy solution to us electrically challenged people... great idea...thanks...
Hi Judy,
They are pretty darn nice.
They come with their own 12v transformer in the cord.... so just plug into a 110 wall outlet.

They look like the would need a 7/8 hole, I can measure if anyone is serious.
But I plan to use mine IN the viv.
W/O the snorkel end thing on it....
Camouflage it baby! Hide it in corkbark... or...
I am going to cover the housing in gorilla glue & roll in coco & moss, cover the (modified) outlet and side intake w/ fiberglass screening with fiberglass screen and mount them up in the viv away from the mist nozzles.

You can see them at:
Aqua Cool Aquarium Cooling Fan

If you scoll down and watch the video, you get a better sense of what they are like.can

Oh yea, I will be using mine on a timer so that it will be on like 20 min. every 2 or 3 hours.

They are quiet.
Here is the post in the classified ad section:
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/sponsor-classifieds/77041-air-circulation-new-year.html

Cheers!
Todd

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Here is another rig I made for 2 18 x 18 x 24 vivs. Still going strong after about a year.

The tanks are very "fresh" :) and the aquarium air pumps do not over-dry it either.

Again, it has been almost a year and I am very happy with the results.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/68299-viv-air-exchanger-clean-filtered-air.html

Thanks!
Todd
LightYourReptiles.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts