Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I went to buy some wire today for my fans DIY, but then there was many different type of wires.... which one do I need?
There are singleplain or braided one... there are caliber 18 up to 22
Can I buy 2 wires (red n black) and then cut a single piece if i ever need a third wire?

Tx!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I use 22 guage wire. One coated red, one coated black. The color coding is used to identify the wires as long as you know which wire goues where the color of the ocating wouldn't make a differnce. Inside its all copper.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I just wired my fans last week. I bought some adjustable voltage adapters from Fry's and just snipped the ends off, so only a red and black wire. You can't really tell what the wires are on the adapter though, they're both just black and too small for ribbing on the plastic, so just twist each one with a red and black wire on the fan and plug it in until you find which combination makes it work, then weld them together. I'm not sure about the third wire, you'll have to wait until someone more electronically inclined than I posts :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
braided or single wire?

the 3rd wire is for speed control?

i was just gonna twist and tape, no welding.. is that oK?

·
Registered
707 Posts
The yellow wire off the fan is for temp control, I didn't need mine, since I just have the fans on all the time, it's for use to hook up to a thermostat. If you're worried about controlling speed, you can just change the voltage setting on the adapter, the lower the voltage, the slower the fan goes. The wires coming out of the adapter were just small single wires, not braided. All of the wires are super delicate which was why we decided to weld before taping, but you could try just taping and see how it holds up, the worst that could happen is you have to cut off the ends and restrip the wires and start again.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I've gotten fans with a third wire in the past and found that the 'extra' wire was not necessary to complete the connection. I just wrapped it with electrical tape and then heat-shrink-wrapped it. Now I just make sure the fans have only two wires. :) Just test the different combinations until you identify the wire that doesn't work.

For the actual connections, I have found that phone wire connectors are perfect for this kind of use. If you can find some that look like these you will not only have a good connection, but one that is waterproof. The inside of the connector is filled with silicone gel, so when you press the yellow button in to bridge the exposed wire ends, all of the wire inside the connector is coated with gel. I've found these connectors at Home Depot, but I don't know what you will have available to you up there - I'm sure there are comparable items at other hardware stores. At any rate, the package was around 4 USD and contained about 30 connectors, so that is enough to make approximately 15 connections.

I had a fan connected like this run for almost three years before it died. At present, I have five fans set up in this way and all function very well. If a fan dies in a connection like this it is very easy to simply remove the old fan and add a new one.

Hope that helps a little.

Mike

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
braided or single wire?

the 3rd wire is for speed control?

i was just gonna twist and tape, no welding.. is that oK?
Braided vs. single? Ideally, match what your fan or your adapter already has. In the end though, braided or single...they both carry voltage. Matching just makes your splice easier.

3rd wire? Bonnie is right. Ignore it.

Twist and tape? It may get you by, or it may stop the fan every time you bump it. If you don't solder, take it in to a radio shack, show them what you want to do, and tell them you were told you could get some "bullet" connectors, or some other type of quick connector to crimp on. Not as good as soldered, but way better than twist and tape! Like this Insulated Crimp-On Bullet Connectors (9-Pack) - RadioShack.com
Or, just get crimp on butt connectors like this Crimp-On Butt Connectors (10-Pack) - RadioShack.com
Yet another good option is a Twist On (or screw on) Wire Connector RadioShack.com
These are all WAY better than a cheap splice and they are just as easy to do!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright that answered all my questions
tx everyone!!

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
some info:

the 3rd wire on CPU fans is a tachometer wire, it sends an RPM signal to the computer to ensure the fan is working properly. there are controllers where this wire can be used and others where it cant. it is NOT necessary to run the fan and CAN be removed.

it doesnt matter whether you hookup the fan with the "correct" polarity (positive to positive/ negative to negative), since when dealing with fans, reversing the polarity will simply push the air in the opposite direction.

the wire you should look for is any wire 18-22 gauge preferably "zip cord" which is the connected red and black stuff.

also, there is a difference between solid and stranded wire, and although both will work for this application the stranded has many advantages over the solid, including, less heat, and better flexibility.

wire connections should absolutely be soldered. and covered with a water resistant sleeve. for those who arent great with electronics i suggest solder splice connectors. they work like butt splice connectors however they are then heated and the solder inside fuses to the two wires. they are usually available at hardware stores.

hope this clears up some fan Qs. and i will be getting that video together as soon as i can (i havent forgotten)
james

·
Registered
527 Posts
or, for the truly lazy that doesn't want to solder but wants a decent connection ... thinkgeek has this nice conductive wire glue. it's DC, so pretty much any of these methods will be fine. soldering is the best, but you don't need to kill yourself. lousy connections will act like a low resistor (poor conductor) and add some heat to the wire, but at these power levels, you're not going to melt anything... don't be afraid to play! if you're nervous about the wall outlets, test your system w/ a 9V battery. there's not enough juice to give you anything more than a little sting.

ThinkGeek :: "Wire Glue" Conductive Glue
-brett

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
some info:

the 3rd wire on CPU fans is a tachometer wire, it sends an RPM signal to the computer to ensure the fan is working properly. there are controllers where this wire can be used and others where it cant. it is NOT necessary to run the fan and CAN be removed.

it doesnt matter whether you hookup the fan with the "correct" polarity (positive to positive/ negative to negative), since when dealing with fans, reversing the polarity will simply push the air in the opposite direction.

the wire you should look for is any wire 18-22 gauge preferably "zip cord" which is the connected red and black stuff.

also, there is a difference between solid and stranded wire, and although both will work for this application the stranded has many advantages over the solid, including, less heat, and better flexibility.

wire connections should absolutely be soldered. and covered with a water resistant sleeve. for those who arent great with electronics i suggest solder splice connectors. they work like butt splice connectors however they are then heated and the solder inside fuses to the two wires. they are usually available at hardware stores.

hope this clears up some fan Qs. and i will be getting that video together as soon as i can (i havent forgotten)
james
The wires on my fans reach outside the vivs so that they are not exposed to any moisture. If your splices are inside the viv, you definitely want something more waterproof like James says.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts