Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if there is a big difference between using a falsebottom vs. hydroton in the end? so far from what im reading it just seems like hydroton is easier to set-up? or is it cheaper to do a FB?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Prob same in cost. 1 bag of clay hydroton is about $10 and if didnt have false bottom in my exo terra 18x18, prob would need at least 2-3 bags. For false bottom, you can buy egg crate from Lowes for $12 (sold in the light section), also need some zip ties for $3 and PVC connectors for "pillar" support of egg crate base (89 cent each). I had left over weed blocker so dont remember cost, but prob not more than $5. I made my false bottom in 1 hour. Prob spent 2 hours thinking out design, but that is part of viv planning anyway. False bottom will help keep weight down. You will still want to use the clay hydroton balls, you just use less of them. Since I expect you might set up another viv in future (can anyone really just have "one" frog tank :p), you will have spare parts to build out another false bottom later. Personally, I vote for false bottom in tandem w clay hydroton. W my setup, the front corner of my viv has open water area so its very easy to pump out water if needed wout any major disruption to the vivscaping.

Hope this helps you.
-Scott

·
Registered
995 Posts
they are both false bottoms, just different materials...there's was a thread about this not too long ago...can't seem to find it...

·
Registered
802 Posts
If you rinse the hydroton a couple times before putting it in the viv then it won't cloud the water. Just make sure you rinse it enough times until it doesn't cloud up your rinse water anymore.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True and all good tips. Does anybody know how many watts of light i would need for a 40 breeder? Enough for orchids and broms and all that? Thx!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Huh? Having trouble figuring out what you mean.
Sorry for any confusion - I recommended using both "false bottoms" together as that is how I designed my viv. I will try to describe (no pics yet - sorry). I have an egg crate false bottom that covers about 70% of the tank floor up to 2 1/2" w remaining % of elevated floor using clay hydroton. I made side walls to keep the hydroton and Frogs from ever being able to get under the eggcrate false bottom. If you were to view the viv from birds eye view w out any plants, there is basically an L shape of space remaining where the hydroton is filled in (level w egg crate) with the corner being sloped down to create an easy access - exit "bathing area" for the frogs. The reason for not putting hydroton under the egg crate is to use water as medium, which can be easily replenished - thus removing toxins etc that build up over time. I also wanted a larger water mass that could absorb more pollution keeping the "bathing area" as fresh as possible for the frogs and any future (hopeful) egg laying. Does that help clarify?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts