Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the real difference in these? Other then being light weight but why are there people using one or the other?

·
Registered
17 Posts
hah good question i was under the impression some use both which is what i do because i don't want the clay particles in my pump yet want the full water table effect where the clay balls filter the water PLUS the clay balls helping keep humidity levels high in the tank.

·
Registered
564 Posts
It's pretty much a preference thing. The expanded clay aggregate is pH neutral. I've used both methods in builds, but there's no reason to use both methods in the same tank, that just takes up space for no gain.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I don't like the leca aka coco puffs lol. You can get multiple builds from a sheet of egg create. The water flows freely if you want a water feature. It seems easier to drain the water from under egg create. Just my opinion, not of what I wrote is fact. Also the clay might make the tank heavier compared to using egg create. Might also cost more.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Actually you can buy a 50lb bag of hydroton at most hydroponics stores for $25 -$30, and that will last you for many a tank. Another advantage of clay is that if you do not build your false bottoms extremely well (no gaps), frogs can and will find their way under that false bottom.

There are a bunch of threads on this, and it is in the end, personal preference.

Sally

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Actually you can buy a 50lb bag of hydroton at most hydroponics stores for $25 -$30, and that will last you for many a tank. Another advantage of clay is that if you do not build your false bottoms extremely well (no gaps), frogs can and will find their way under that false bottom.

There are a bunch of threads on this, and it is in the end, personal preference.

Sally
Yea I do agree with that, frogs can def. get in the cracks. I always put sphagnum moss around the edges around the walls to prevent that. You have to take extra precautions. Yes, it is about preference, I just hate that its hard to get the screen over hose balls.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Bradley, do they not have "tomato growers" in Brooklyn? :)

You both are right, the screen helps, spagnum as well, but over time.. a year or 2 things do shift, gaps can occur.

I know wrapping the screen around/over the hydroton is a pain. I have started taking a needle and thread and making different size packs, so I can build up levels and keep the pellets from rolling helter skelter. It might sound a bit hard, but it takes me less time to do that then snip all the squares of the light diffuser panels

Sally

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
but it takes me less time to do that then snip all the squares of the light diffuser panels
How about using a saw? A table saw works great... or even a hack saw... compared to sewing different packets?

Ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts