Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

So, last time I made a false bottom, I laid the screen on top of the eggcrate. Afraid that dirt would fall through the edges to the reservoir below, I siliconed the edges of the screen to the glass sides.

This time, I want to have the eggcrate/screen to be easily removable in case I need to shovel out all the substrate, and fix a leak (which has happened twice before, mainly because I used plexi for the bottom and back of the tank (to cut down on weight), and it warped over time. This time I replaced it with glass.)

So I was thinking I would attach the screen to the eggcrate, and cut the eggcrate to the exact size so it could "wedge" into place, hopefully flush with the edges of the tank to prevent any substrate from falling through. However, I have doubts that it will be that simple. There are bound to be gaps, however small they may be.

So I was wondering how you folks would address this situation. Do you just silicone the edges of the screen to the glass? Is there another way? I am just paranoid I will have to tear it all apart again someday. And I am trying to plan ahead for such a contingency.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just cut the screen 1" longer on the length and width, place it down with a 1/2" going up the glass, and use small rocks to hold the corners down while you dump soil in. This makes it really easy to pull the substrate. All you need to do is dig down into the corner, grab the corner of the screening, and pull.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doh! I can't believe I did not think of using rocks to hold down the edges!! Thanks. That is a good, simple solution!

If I use standare fiberglass window screen, should I use a single layer? or double layer?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lamo..... your right.... it looks someone is wiping their frog with something in their hand :) I think I need to turn up my monitor's brightness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts