Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i found a roll of weed blocker and cut some out and tested to see if it drains water well. i put it under the sink ran some water under it and it doesn't drain the water very fast. it kind of sits there and lets a drop of water through once every minute or so. Should i use this stuff or should i use something else? I saw some people use nylon tulle, and my sister has a ton of that stuff. Would this be better for a false bottom?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I recently used this for my ten gallon vertical. and i like it, and finds it works, even though it doesnt drain well. No dirt can get through and no need to layer it just put the substrate right own. You can use it . but hope others will have other inputs. hope this helps

·
Registered
430 Posts
I tested several vivariums with weed blocker, and have problems with it
with time, it get clogged and will let even less water thru
there are many different thickness tho but I just use fiberglass mesh now... works just perfectly

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much is fiberglass mesh and where would i go about finding it?
i just read that if water is in the substrate for too long bad things happen like roots start to rot. i don't want that to happen so just making sure i use the right stuff so i don't have to redo everything

·
Registered
432 Posts
How much is fiberglass mesh and where would i go about finding it?
i just read that if water is in the substrate for too long bad things happen like roots start to rot. i don't want that to happen so just making sure i use the right stuff so i don't have to redo everything
i saw it for 12 dollars or a little more at home depot

·
Registered
136 Posts
Go to Lowe's or Home Depot but hte windows section all it is is a roll of fiberglass window screen.
Any weres from 6 to 20 a roll depending on size of the roll.
Make sure its fiberglass not steel or aluminum.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm reviving this old post as I'm tired of searching posts for the night, why wouldn't coconut fiber mat work instead of Fiberglass screen ? I like to build my tanks as natural as possible and personally like the coconut mat. I've had one going for a year now in a 29 gallon tank with no problems, but I'm building a large 55 gallon tank setup this time and I don't want to have to tear it down in 2 years. Just wanting thoughts on why coconut matting wouldn't work, I'm afraid I'm gonna learn why in a few hours after seeing some replies.
Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I'm reviving this old post as I'm tired of searching posts for the night, why wouldn't coconut fiber mat work instead of Fiberglass screen ? I like to build my tanks as natural as possible and personally like the coconut mat. I've had one going for a year now in a 29 gallon tank with no problems, but I'm building a large 55 gallon tank setup this time and I don't want to have to tear it down in 2 years. Just wanting thoughts on why coconut matting wouldn't work, I'm afraid I'm gonna learn why in a few hours after seeing some replies.
Thanks,
Dan
I think the biggest issue would be the cocomat disintegrating. I haven't ever tried it...sounds like a pretty cool idea. Keep in mind that the cocomats are bonded, so they aren't totally natural, probably about the same as having some screen in there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think the biggest issue would be the cocomat disintegrating. I haven't ever tried it...sounds like a pretty cool idea. Keep in mind that the cocomats are bonded, so they aren't totally natural, probably about the same as having some screen in there.
True they are not totally natural, but if you see a spot of it on the side of the glass it does not look as unnatural as screen. I know coconut material is used in some backgrounds, my cocohut has been around for a few years and is not rotting, it is growing moss ! But yes I think that is a valid concern and is why I asked, I'm hoping someone has an old tank with coconut material in it and can verify it's longevity ?
Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts