Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put together a quick progression of how I put together my false bottom and waterfall, with a little narration. The pics aren't of the highest quality, but I remember trying to figure out how to set one of these up about a year ago. Sometimes, step-by-step how-to's were hard to find. If you found it helpful, let me know. If not, let me know how I could beef it up.

http://www.frognet.org/gallery/False-Bo ... l-Assembly

G

·
wow!

Homer, that's fabulous. I love the set up and seeing how it comes together. One day I'd like to make something like that. (Wait til I actually get a place of my own first).

Thanks a bunch!

Ken

G

·
Excellent.

What kind of paint or epoxy did you use to seal the wood?

Also, everyone usually wishes they would have done something different. What would you have done different?

Tank looks great!

Stitch

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used the tub and tile epoxy paint you can buy at Lowe's for $15 for a small amount . . . still more than enough to do 3 coats on my terrarium bottom. I used this because it was the cheapest I could find, but I'd probably use a marine grade paint if I were to do it again (although this should be more than enough to hold).

As for what I would do differently . . . I would have paid the extra money to have put in a larger fountain pump the first time. As it is, I added a 70 gph fountain after realizing the 30 gph fountain was just not enough to give me the effect I wanted. Anyway, now I have the new cord showing in the back of the tank . . . that bothers me a bit.

What I did do right the first time. . . I made a large hole in the false bottom where I could access pump. A large flat rock covers the hole.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Nice homer, I need to stop making these smaller tanks and do another big one. I really want to give my leucs a new home, just a matter of a new tanks and doing it, but have been working on these 5 custom ones. Started the background in one tonight, and hope to do the others soon.

Homer said:
I just put together a quick progression of how I put together my false bottom and waterfall, with a little narration. The pics aren't of the highest quality, but I remember trying to figure out how to set one of these up about a year ago. Sometimes, step-by-step how-to's were hard to find. If you found it helpful, let me know. If not, let me know how I could beef it up.

http://www.frognet.org/gallery/False-Bo ... l-Assembly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts