Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had used toothpics to pin a cork round to the side of my background but i awoke this morning to find it had fallen and the pilea i planted in it was a bit crushed. I was on my way to work so i didnt have time to fuss with it so i just turned it right side up before i left.

Any ideas on how i can pin it back to the background without disturbing the tank too much? I posted a pic below to show you how it was setup at first. Thank god neither of my frogs were injured by the fallling cork round. I know i should have siliconed it when i first made the background but it is too late for that now.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Sorry, but in my opinion you are too late. Unless you pull the frogs and at least partially strip it down to do it right, you are taking a risk of it falling and crushing someone. Bamboo skewers will rot soon enough. It's not a question of if they will fail. The only question is when will they fail.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Capture your frogs with a clear plastic tube. Something like the protective tube that some fluorescent lights come in, or like the clear "candy cane" tube that come around Christmas full of M and M's. They don't even see it coming. Just lower it down in front of them and use your hand behind them to herd them into it.
I like to prepare a temporary home for them, like this. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/63743-temporary-frog-storage-home.html
A few frogs will do fine in there for a week or longer while you do repairs.
As far as the repair itself, if you can scrape and get to bare glass, silicone it. If you have a great stuff background, you can dig some out to recess it an inch or so, and then use great stuff or gorilla glue to get it set more firmly.
It might make a nice hide for them to just leave it on the ground.
good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good. I know i should have redone my background after the first try didnt come out exactly how i wanted! I guess im paying the price of impatience now. No matter how much your read, nothing substitutes doing it and making mistakes. I think i will leave it as is and wait until i start my new build. this way, the plants can grow out a bit before i replant them again. once i finish the new build ill transfer the frogs to the new tank, rebuild the old one, then transfer them back and then ill be ready to get some new frogs for the other tank. I feel uncomfortable leaving them in a temporary container because im afraid it may dry out or stress them too much.

·
Super Moderator
5,040 Posts
I guess I just totally wasnt thinking about the rotting issue... However, I still dont necessarily see the need to redo the tank.

I'm sure you could pin it with something like a plastic skewer and find a piece of driftwood to prop it up for extra support. A lot of times my viv designs end up kinda being the product of trial and error. I think they usually turn out better and look more natural. Just toss some moss or sphagnum over any exposed plastic. Plus, this way you wont have to worry about redoing great stuff and silicone and all that in a tank that is already planted.

However, as Doug said you should definitely capture the frogs and put them in a tempt tank while you do all the work.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i like the idea of propping it up somehow i may try that. only problem is i dont have any good scap driftwood. the driftwood i do have is stuff ive collected over the years around long island beaches. im not sure the types of wood so i dont want to take a chance. part of the reason i stuck it to the side of the viv was because there isnt much room to plant anything else on the bottom of the tank. oh well, i may just have to leave it out.

·
Super Moderator
5,040 Posts
what if you just took that round and placed it on the ground like a column? I did it in a recent build and threw some dischidia on top so it will hopefully cascade down the sides. It will create another level in the tank for the leucs to hang out. but it does take some floor space. I can grab a pic later if you want.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i knew the wood would rot over time but was hoping that the root system would hold it to the wall before that happened. now im worried about the tree fern pieces that i used as a platform for the plant in the corner ugh... it seemed real sturdy since i used toothpics and the tree fern itself to stick to the wall. also, the GS background was thicker there so i had more room to stick it in the wall. feeling like a f*ckin amature right now. bad day at work and frog tank falling apart. feels like nothing is going right.

·
Super Moderator
5,040 Posts
Don't fret over it. It is all part of the process. I can guarantee that everyone on here has done something that didn't work out the way they had planned it to.

There area a lot of smart people here... When you get home take some pictures and I'm sure someone will be able to come up with something to help.

Also, its not the end of the world if you end up having to rebuild the tank. Just make sure you get the frogs set up in a good temp enclosure and you'll be fine

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
We all make mistakes and learn as we go. Anyone who thinks he's learned all there is to know about frogging probably doesn't know as much as he thinks. I used to know a few reefkeepers like that. So don't fret it. Any mistake that doesn't result in the loss of a frog is a small mistake and simply a learning experience.
For next time, the most secure way I have found to mount cork, wood, tree fern panel, or rock, into your background, is to silicone it to the background first. Then you build your background around it.

Reactions: Judy S

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advise and support guys. I decided to leave the cork round on the floor of the viv and not fuss with it at all. Ill take some pictures and upload them tonight. It doesnt look half bad. Im excited to recieve a Jungle dawn LED 13 watt bulb today from Joshs frogs. It should hopfully brighten the tank up a bit and help the plants grow in more quickly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts