Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: this build is an aquarium not a viv, but I thought that the construction might be of interest to users who are into rocky looking setups.

I'm in the process of putting together a new 65g Tanganyikan aquarium (was wrestling between setting this tank up as a paludarium or an aquarium but decided to go with a regular aquarium). I decided to make a rocky background and some matching foreground rocks. I used pretty much the same technique that I used to make the roots in my old paludarium (minus the vines).

I was inspired by some of the awesome uplifted granite that I walk by on my way to work (I know, I know, this is NYC's central park and not Lake Tanganyika but I thought it looked nice.

This is how it started:

Here's the basic outline of the background and styrofoam stacked and siliconed to make the rough shapes of the foreground rocks. I decided to do a partial background instead of a full background (will eventually be painting the back of the tank black).

After much carving...

I ended up with this for the background:

and here's the whole ensemble:

I decided to carve out some tunnels and caves in most of the rocks to provide the fish with some hiding places and to increase the water volume and reduce the buoyancy of the rocks:

The caves are fairly inconspicuous from the front but are larger and more hollowed out in the back

Next, I painted the background and rocks with Drylok. I did two solid coats of medium grey tinted Drylok (tinted with "charcoal" concrete pigment) and the added some darker tinted stuff to shade the hollows and crevices and ended with a light dry brushing of some brownish highlights.

Here's the background:

Some close-ups of the rocks:

and here are all the pieces together:

I'm currently siliconing the pieces into the tank and will then paint the outside of the back black.

·
Registered
287 Posts
sweet that will looking cool with cichlids in it. What species r u gonna keep in it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very nice work, dont take this the wrong way but you did an amazing job with somewhat crude tools. Id be interested to see what you could do with some proper carving tools like i have laying around. :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thought I'd post an update in case anyone was curious to see how the finished product turned out. Current inhabitants are just some praecox rainbows, but I'm planning to add some Altolamprologus calvus (cichlids), Synodontis multipunctatus (catfish) and a Mastacembelus elipsifer (tanganyikan eel).

·
Registered
752 Posts
That looks great. I like the low light look with the beams being visible. Very nice

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
BEAUTIFUL tank! Thank you for sharing... I wish my tang tank looked half that good :(

Cyprichromis are great fish. I've got some bulu-point cyp's and they're my favorite fish in that tank - colorful, active, and the alpha male is constantly "flashing". I've got a pair of synodontis in the same tank and they're probably the most attractive freshwater fish I've ever had but are very shy.

I had a white calvus as well but had real problems with aggression - it was constantly going after some gold occie's. If at all possible I'd recommend adding the calvus at the same time (or later) and at roughly the same size (or smaller) than the rest of the fish in the tank.

Please keep us updated, especially if you get the eel! I seriously considered getting one but didn't think a wild caught animal would survive in my awful local city water.

·
Registered
312 Posts
What size tank is that? Looks great!

Mark

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
378 Posts
Nice Job!!! Question, after covering the foam with Dry-Lok, did you put anything on top of the Dry-Loc? Silicone? Pond Sealer?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 21 Posts