Dendroboard banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Airflow mechanics are such that holes can never take the place of screen, as long as the mesh grade of solid matter isnt to a degree of significant opacity to the open spaces. Then its just as poor, or poorer.There are stats on that i am sure can be researched. I have a friend into those dynamics and i do have a copy of his notes somewhere in ol ppls paper notes piles.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
What my friend and i did find in air exchange experiments using smoke was that less screen was better than more holes, even Alot more holes, to put it very simply.

·
Registered
314 Posts
@Kmc it’s not obvious in the pictures, but the OP does have a 2” wide screen strip the width of the tank, which is pretty standard. It might promote overall better airflow to have it at the back of the tank rather than the front (since the built in vents are at the front), but it should be sufficient ventilation for most setups. Internal air circulation is another matter...

However, I am really confused by your assertion that screen is better than holes...surely screen blocks some of the air movement, and also I can’t see how it would matter whether the total square inches of ventilation are in the form of a strip vs circles.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Its not the strip versus circles. Its dynamic of permeability. Has nothing to do with strips vesus circles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So I can already tell my plants I got on Wednesday are going to die. Here is a picture of the macravia and peperomia plants. They're losing color and feel really weak and delicate. I'm not sure what to do, as this is the 3rd time I've ordered plants and had them die on me. If anyone can give me any tips on how to save them please let me know.
0122211813.jpg 0122211813a.jpg

·
Registered
314 Posts
Do you have a circulation fan yet? Is there a place outside the tank where you could try to grow them for a while to see if it’s somehow the tank itself?

Generally the only things that can kill a plant that fast are overwatering or something toxic in the environment. Well, completely drying out could do it for some of those plants, but then they would look shriveled and dry. I guess cold damage could too, but that presents as blackened leaves within about 24 hours.

Also, are these plants with strong root systems, or are they cuttings? "Weak" and "delicate" could suggest insufficient water uptake, which you would get with unrooted cuttings - they'll need to be kept in a pretty ideal humidity + air flow environment in order to prevent excessive transpiration and help them establish roots.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The circulation fan I order didn't come this week, it was supposed to come on Wednesday but I guess USPS is Having issues.
The macravia is the only cutting, but i had roots coming out the back side of it. What would you suggest I do in the meantime? Should I be misting them directly?

·
Registered
314 Posts
You could try removing them from the tank and keeping them consistently moist in indirect light for a while. Are all the roots in soil?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So the fan I ordered from FrogCube came today and I have it running in my viv.

I few questions:
How long should I be running it? Most posts I've read have it running like 15 mins at a time a bit after misting.
Which way should I have it blowing? Right now, I have it blowing from one corner into the back corner.
People seem to use fans to help with condensation, but I've never had any condensation. Should I be misting more?

Thanks again guys
0125211243.jpg

·
Registered
314 Posts
I run my circulation fan almost 24/7. Some people run theirs during the day only. I don't think that running it all the time will hurt anything.

Condensation occurs when warm, humid air hits colder glass, so just because you don't have condensation doesn't necessarily mean your tank isn't humid enough.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts