Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what is going on with one of my tanks.

It's an empty tank, that I was going to use for a build soon. But I have run into problems getting it clean! There is what looks like water-spots and water line buildup all over this thing... and nothing I try works :confused:

I've tried vinegar, lemon juice, pure citric acid, bleach, and even CLR! Not to mention seemingly endless scrubbing with one of those green dish scrubbies... what IS this stuff and why oh why won't it come off? The citric acid worked just fine removing the scale from my roommate's cat water fountain. But it does nothing to my tank :( I'm about ready to just toss some gravel in this thing and use it to grow out plants...

No picture because the residue is too hard to capture on camera.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I found that bar keepers friend works extremely well, and i used it to clean an old tank of the mineral spots. Plus, it's only like 2 bucks for a big can.
Hope I helped

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't tried the razor blade yet, as I am worried I will scratch the glass with it.

Where can I get bar keeper's friend? What's in it?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Home depot sells it, so does target, or many other stores like lowes. It has oxcalic acid in it but lists nothing else. I just checked the can. I think it safe, just give it a few good rinses and let it dry. maybe rinse it again after that.
If you get in your eyes:save your frogs and sell them on db.:D. just rinse them for 15 minutes. That seems like a long time, doesn't it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yep, razor blades work best but you do need to keep scraping until it doesn't feel rough as you pass over it.

I tried everything from steel wool, CLR, bartenders best friend, toothpaste and even hydrochloric acid! Razors are the only thing that made an impact.

If the minerals have etched the glass don't expect it to ever look crystal clear again. I managed to get mine in presentable condition but compared to my newer vivariums it looks a bit hazy and cloudy.

All that work and in the end I wish that I would have just bought a new one...

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
It can be polished out but you'll need to use a either a drill or similar tool to run the wheel as just using your hands isn't sufficient. You should be able to get a kit from a glass supply company.

some comments

Ed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, razor blades work best but you do need to keep scraping until it doesn't feel rough as you pass over it.

I tried everything from steel wool, CLR, bartenders best friend, toothpaste and even hydrochloric acid! Razors are the only thing that made an impact.

If the minerals have etched the glass don't expect it to ever look crystal clear again. I managed to get mine in presentable condition but compared to my newer vivariums it looks a bit hazy and cloudy.

All that work and in the end I wish that I would have just bought a new one...

I did eventually decide to just buy a new one for this project. Figured it wasn't worth the headache! But now that the pressure's off, I will try the razor blade on the old tank. Should I use it dry, or toss some vinegar or something on there while I scrape?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I did eventually decide to just buy a new one for this project. Figured it wasn't worth the headache! But now that the pressure's off, I will try the razor blade on the old tank. Should I use it dry, or toss some vinegar or something on there while I scrape?
I cut a lemon in half and scrub the glass, followed by razor blade over wet lemony surface. Etching is etching, though, and if those aren't just hard water deposits then nothing short of buffing the glass will work.

Reactions: Ed
1 - 14 of 14 Posts