Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! First time posting here!

I've been browsing the boards for all of the help to set up my tank and get my first frog! I decided on a little bumblebee named Otto. When I first got him, he would hide occasionally when I would come around but was overall pretty active. I've changed the decor around in the past month and removed a single, very large, hide that covered about a third of the tank. I kept the additional small hides, added more plants, and increased the natural cover. I also added additional lighting and changed the screen top for a piece of glass.

Humidity has been 80%+ and the temperature hardly ever reaches above the low-to-mid 70s.

He hasn't been coming out nearly as much in the past couple of weeks and I almost hardly ever see him. He used to be a little more social but now I almost never see him. What can I do to get home to come out more/feel more comfortable?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Welcome,

In the first picture it looks like there's a large gap between the top glass and the side panel. Is that how it actually is?

There could be a few things causing your frog to be reclusive:
1. Still just settling in. You've just changed his world around, he might still be settling in.
2. You removed a large hide: you might have taken away his favorite comfort place, causing him to use other places.
3. The light looks very bright. My experience has been that the brighter the lights the less visible the frogs are.

Additionally, a straight glass top means there's no ventilation/no fresh air entering the terrarium. This is not how MOST froggers keep their frogs nowadays.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Definitely agree with fishingguy, especially on points 1 and 2, the adjustment period can be highly variable and lengthy for some individuals in my personal experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there any changes to the terrarium that you would recommend? I haven't seen him in a couple days...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just my opinion, but, there is a lot of light in this vivarium, and not a lot of shade. In their natural habitat, there is a lot of light dappling and not so light and open-cover. When there is not as much cover, they tend to be shyer. My advice, add some driftwood and branches for more depth. Good luck!

Gastrotheca
---------------------------
Crested Gecko 0.2.0

·
Super Moderator
2,686 Posts
Curious: how often are you misting? Should be at least once a day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just my opinion, but, there is a lot of light in this vivarium, and not a lot of shade. In their natural habitat, there is a lot of light dappling and not so light and open-cover. When there is not as much cover, they tend to be shyer. My advice, add some driftwood and branches for more depth. Good luck!

Gastrotheca
---------------------------
Crested Gecko 0.2.0
I'll look into adding more cover! I think that's a good plan. I could see about raising the light as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll look into adding more cover! I think that's a good plan. I could see about raising the light as well.
How does this look? :) I plan on getting a stand for the light soon.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,686 Posts
I'd try unplugging the light for three days and see how the frog's behavior changes, or at least putting close to opaque under it (a few sheets of printer paper?). That's really too much light, by the looks of things.

I didn't see that you mentioned why the top looks open/shifted in some of the pics. I hope it isn't that way all the time; the frog will escape through a less-than-frog-sized crack.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd try unplugging the light for three days and see how the frog's behavior changes, or at least putting close to opaque under it (a few sheets of printer paper?). That's really too much light, by the looks of things.

I didn't see that you mentioned why the top looks open/shifted in some of the pics. I hope it isn't that way all the time; the frog will escape through a less-than-frog-sized crack.
Update: I walked everything back to how I had it when I originally got him. I haven't used any of the bright lights and I put the screen top back on. His behavior hasn't changed much and it's been about 2 weeks. At this point, I'm considering getting a female and seeing if that would help. he used to stay out and walk around and hunt if it was relatively quiet, now if he even hears the door open he runs and hides. Any additional recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
2,686 Posts
Well, if it is environmental, then you'll have two shy frogs. Do you know that it is a male (i.e. has the frog called)? Finding a confirmed female of the same morph might be quite challenging -- though two males might be fine together.

Here's a useful video of leucs in situ. Other than the frog on the tree at 3:30 - 6:20 (and the videographer is a long way off, likely unseen by the frog), all the frogs are under quite a bit of cover -- they have a few layers of foliage between them and anything scary -- and the rainforest isn't bright. The fact that your frog is fine until it sees you suggests -- nothing personal, I'm sure -- that it doesn't want to see you.

(Similarly excellent in situ video and pics here.)

Though leucs aren't known to be shy, darts can take a long time (many months) to get comfy. Also, they do have individual personalities to some degree, so you may just have an introvert.

Reactions: bssknox
1 - 12 of 12 Posts