Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have these extra large pupa in one of my cultures, does it have any significance?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
It is also possible that they are from phorid flies infesting the container.

Ed

Reactions: zBrinks

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yes, they are probably winged flies. A week ago I had fliers and didn't know after I closely inspected the culture. Before that I fed a few fliers to my frog. Are there any health issues?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Yes, they are probably winged flies. A week ago I had fliers and didn't know after I closely inspected the culture. Before that I fed a few fliers to my frog. Are there any health issues?
Just yours when there are so many you inhale them and they fly into your food and drinks.:p

·
Registered
235 Posts
last week i had found a culture that was booming with flying flies. what a waste. lol

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there are a few fliers in there indeed. the culture is close to 3weeks old. is it ok to feed from it or just scrap it?

anyway to pinpoint how this happened?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is also possible that they are from phorid flies infesting the container.

Ed
ED, they are running across the culture-2 of them. they have a very big abdomen or butt-not sure what you call it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
opened the lid and away they went just the 2 winged fliers.

·
Registered
701 Posts
You better hope they haven't mated with the others...

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
ED, they are running across the culture-2 of them. they have a very big abdomen or butt-not sure what you call it.
If they were running more quickly than the fruit flies then they were probably phorid flies .
If you go to this site and scroll down there are some comparative pictures of the phorid fly that most commonly gets into cultures. The Scorpion Fauna - The "Enemies and Diseases" gallery

I freeze any cultures that phorid get into as they get into other things as well (like eggs or scratches), food (nothing like eating dinner and having one of those land on the food and start running around) as a simple precaution. There may be more in the culture as they will lay eggs through small holes in the lid.

If you google up phorid and look at the sort of things they normally inhabit, you'll see why they can be a problem. (they are a reason I stopped purchasing Zoophobas as I was getting them with the worms that had died before shipment.

Ed

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i destroyed the culture.

will all the pupa be that large?

reason i ask, i want to catch them in the culture before they take over so i can destroy it.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
As with melanogaster, the size can be different depending on how much food is available for the larva. In a high nutrient enviroment, the pupae will be large like those pupae.

Ed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts