Dendroboard banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
While many people use regular great stuff, I only recommend using pond foam. Even though it is more expensive, there are a lot less chemicals that can leach into the water. We all know how sensitive frogs are to toxins, and even if it doesn't have an immediate affect on the frog, its difficult to say what it does long term. Just look for a "safe for fish" on the label.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If the regular Great Stuff is toxic to frogs, I think there are going to be quite a few people on this board who are in big trouble. As for the 'wow' brand, I haven't heard of it, but a good start would be trying to compare the formula with that of the Great Stuff foam like Rhesus Feist has pointed out.

Pat
I know lots of people use Great stuff, but I don't recommend it because its not made to get wet or be in contact with animals, unlike the pond foam. I assume that, even if it has the same or similar chemicals, it is less likely to leach them into the water. Obviously it doesn't kill on contact, but who knows if it might lower their lifespan by 10% or cause a slight increase in reproduction problems? Its certainly possible that both are more or less the same, but why take the risk for a few extra dollars?

After all, there are plenty of materials that have been consumed by humans for hundreds of years before they were found to be toxic. Lead was used to seal human food for centuries, and BPAs, used in plastics since the 1890s are just now coming under scrutiny.

Certainly I don't criticize those who use great stuff, but I let all my customers know that I, personally, don't prefer it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.