Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whatsup up guys\girls im a newbie here. Im new at this hobby and holy sh*t its been money and lots of effort and reading. I have a Bowed 7 g. Viv freshly planted and one D. Azureus. For those who havent expeirenced the wrath of the exoterra fogger here we go.

These things kill and PROBALLY should be used in larger setups. But i was having alot of low humidity(50-60%) and since i already bought a exoterra fogger i had to find a way to make it work without endangering my little guy. So after tons and tons of containers and trys (even externally with tubing) i found a pretty good way to make it effective. All you need is one of those 16.9 fl ounces (.5 liters) water bottles... the small ones. Cut about a inch X inch hole in the side and put your fogger in a little less than half way down , with the cord tightly on the side holding it in place. Add water almost to the hole or where it "fogs" the most. Now get some electric tape and wrap the hell out of the cord to hold the fogger in place. Then get some screening material (i used window screening) and block your inch hole so your frog cannont enter and die. (which happened to one of my greens) Now tape , silicon , or glue the screening on and hide it your new "mini fogging system" somewhere clever in your viv. (mines behind the waterfall feature one of those premolded ones looks good and my humidity is regulated.) Goodluck everyone....ill certainly be around i need all the help i can get! i hope this helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its been stated in a couple other threads...The fogger is moving water at a rapid rate which creates friction and heat to produce the fog. the water in my little water bottle gets a little hot but since it has enough space and water in it , it doesnt pose a threat (as far as i know) to the frog.

·
Registered
170 Posts
ya i touched that disk one time one accident when i was adjusting it. feels like you get shocked.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Why not get one of those household humidifiers at wal-mart or home depot. Connect the output of the humidifer to your tank using pvc.

M.N

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Because some people paid 40+ bucks on it already and prolly wanna use it. Kinda pissed me off when it killed two of my frogs. They were fbt's nothing rare but still killed em.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I purchased a nice walgreens ultrasonic hunidifier on ebay for 15 bucks plus 9 for shipping. When i was looking for mine there was atleast 50 on ebay, if you are looking.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Put the ultrasonic fogger in a tupperware container, get a $5 fish tank air pump, have one tube run from the tupperware container to your frog tank, have another tube run from the air pump to the tupperware container, add water, and plug it in :). You will have a safe external source of fog.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hicksonj,
does that system actually work. I had a fogger and it shot out water hot as hell. It definently is very dangerous in my opinion. Infact if I recall correctly it says on the box that exoterra is not responsible for damage to plants or animals occuring from the use of the fogger.
Anyway I tried everything I could think of and nothing seemed to work externally. For the $40 you could probably buy a nice external humidifier.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those external humidifiers utilize ultrasonic discs to create the mist. The water should not be extremely hot with an good working ultrasonic fogger. The pain people feel when the touch the fogger is not heat or shock, but water being vibrated so much that it gets pushed through the skin. The fog is not hot steam, so building it up in a tupperware box and blowing it into a tank has no potential to harm frogs.

furizzl said:
hicksonj,
does that system actually work. I had a fogger and it shot out water hot as hell. It definently is very dangerous in my opinion. Infact if I recall correctly it says on the box that exoterra is not responsible for damage to plants or animals occuring from the use of the fogger.
Anyway I tried everything I could think of and nothing seemed to work externally. For the $40 you could probably buy a nice external humidifier.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i tried to get it to work externally...but it sucked ass and couldnt make it to the tank. My method is working quite well. I will try to get some pics up soon for you guys.

On a side note.
I've had to mess with my tank (move things around) quite a bit over the last couple days and my frog is hidding for what seems all day. Is it just stressed out?

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
well

Guys, I am so confused. Are exoterra foggers safe now or what?

How about using that new terrarium humidifier called "Tropi air?" It uses an air pump to push water through soaked pads and out through another tube which is inside the terrarium. I was wondering if anybody has used it before?

I've also noticed that a dripwall, plus some heating also increases the humidity way up. The warm water exposed to a larger surface area means greater humidity.

Does an airstone in a heated water dish work well? I've heard that its another method to keeping the tank humidified.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the reason that the ultrasonic humidifiers present a danger is because the fogging disk is exposed to so that they can touch it and if they do it can cause physical damage to the herps. If you can find a way to safely keep the unit separated from them, you should be fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The tropic air thing is a con. It SUCKS. Its a fine idea but definently doesn't work. My PetsMart is good about letting me try stuff and then taking it back if it doesn't work. I saw this thing and i thought it would be perfect but it just doesn't produce fog, or for that matter very little air comes out of the tube from the container. I tried with like five pumps hooked up, and it still didn't work. THen again I haven't had much luck. If u get it, try pinching the tube out of the container shut and then let it build up for like an hour and then release it and u MIGHT get some mist but definently not like they says it produces.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
thinking about buying

Ok, I'm considering buying a fogger. But if there is another kind I can buy, I'll look at Petco first. Look first, buy next. My tank seems to produce more humidity when warmer, so I might consider a heating pad.

I may want the fogger for my Nepenthes tank in the basement.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the ultrasonic foggers definitely produce the best option for humidity and aesthetics for any terrarium, especially orchids and CP. For the frogs, just rig up an external unit and pipe it into the vivarium, it works and it looks really nice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can always get an ultrasonic room humidifier at thrift stores for around $5, then use pvc pipes or plastic hoses to direct it into the viv.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
humidifier

Yeah, I think I'll hold off from the fogger, considering it is worth $40. Is an ultrasonic humidifer the same as those humidifiers at walmart? I have a humidifier, but I don't know if its the same thing. How much do they cost without the thrift store?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts