Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
E. Anthonyii Santa Isabels
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had thoughts/opinions about this new product that Exo Terra launched as part of its Frogs and Co line? It’s advertised as “volcanic” and, well, “bioactive” but I know that parts just their buzz word. I’m thinking it might not be too different from using a clay-based substrate like turface or LECA? I’m also wondering if it would be worth trying out in a grow out?

·
Administrator
4,634 Posts
I'm no substrate guru, but -- other than the over-the-top description from ExoTerra -- it does sound ok, like turface as you mention. Turface, though, happens to be literally cheaper than dirt, and its pros and cons are pretty well known and understood, so it doesn't seem likely that this product does anything other than separate chain store shoppers from their money.

It doesn't look to be widely available for purchase yet at any rate.

Reactions: Lovelyk

·
Registered
E. Anthonyii Santa Isabels
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not like turface, or LECA. It's more like Amazonia Aqua Soil, or Fluval Stratum. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that it's just a repackaged version of Fluval Stratum.
Oh, that makes sense, actually. Not so much an aquarium person, so I wasn’t thinking of that. But I think @Socratic Monologue has a good point. It’s probably ok, but probably better just to stick with the known stuff for now. Maybe mess with this substrate if it’s sold more places. I did see it for sale for $12 somewhere, but then again, turface is still cheaper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts