Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I ended up getting the new exo-terra monsoon. Actually my girlfriend came home from work with it. :) I guess i must of been a good boy, or something like that? Seeing as It looks like im the first one to get one, or atleast admit they've got one. I figured i'd post some pictures and a quick review.

First of all I do have to admit, the packaging is very flashy. :rolleyes: Which made me a little skeptical, But i figured what the hey, This should work nice for my stand alone display tank.

Right out of the box set-up was EXTREMELY easy. Simply plug in the misting line to the top, then supply line, and finally the power and your good to go. run your lines to your tank and your done. The misting lines/ fittings are metric so i'm not sure if you could get away with mixing and matching between other nozzles that use 1/4" fittings.

While The website states it's a 1 gallon resevoir, I found after dumping in a full gallon it maybe filled it about 1/3rd of the way.

Operating the system is pretty easy too, 2 dials, one for the duration (2-120 seconds) and one for cycle timing (every 1-24hrs). An on and off button for manual operation and a 3rd button to set it on cycle mode. Kinda stinks that ya cant set the time specifically, but not a big deal.

One downfall is it uses suction cups for mounting the misting nozzles, this could be fixed by using magnetic airline holders I suppose though so far the suction cups seem to be pretty high quality so maybe they'll hold, we'll see. The other thing I would have to say I didnt like is the nozzle heads that it came with have a rather narrow spray, although they do put out a surprisingly fine mist. This was a very simple fix with some 3$ wide angle misting heads I had sitting around. It does drip a fair amount after it shuts down, but for sure no worse than any other system without the zip-drip valve.

All in all I'd have to say its not a bad system. While its no mist king I definitely think this will be very helpful to alot of beginers or people who may normally be overwhelmed by the DIY aspect of many other systems, at not a bad price. While i've heard it could run over 130$ at some places my local pet store just got some in and is selling them for 90$. Only time will tell how well built it really is.

Last but not least a short video of it in operation. (we'll see if it works, i've never posted one before) :confused:
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid967.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fae158%2Fjjdude16%2F101_1549.mp4">

Link in case i fail...
101_1549.mp4 video by jjdude16 - Photobucket

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ive been wondering who was going to post first on the monsoon. Thanks for posting :). Well from what I see the nozzles are pretty cheap and the method of hanging them as well, but hey for someone just getting into the hobby and only doing a tank or 2 the price is pretty solid.
I myself will be staying with Mistking, and im really wondering when Marty is going to be getting his new system on site. Oh Marty ;)
Again thanks for posting and you have a pretty nice viv as well. What do you plan on putting in there or are their inhabitants?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive been wondering who was going to post first on the monsoon. Thanks for posting :). Well from what I see the nozzles are pretty cheap and the method of hanging them as well, but hey for someone just getting into the hobby and only doing a tank or 2 the price is pretty solid.
I myself will be staying with Mistking, and im really wondering when Marty is going to be getting his new system on site. Oh Marty ;)
Again thanks for posting and you have a pretty nice viv as well. What do you plan on putting in there or are their inhabitants?
The tank in my pictures currently has a group of 3 auratus in it.

Thank you, I just figured i'd give people a chance to see what another hobbyist experiences are with this product rather than just what the sales ads say. Like I mentioned before this is by FAR no mist king, the only thing I see it has over mist king is that it had nicer look and plug and play set-up. If anything though i think this may actually help out mist king, enticing beginners who are normally scared off by the idea of having to do any kind of DIY work to set-up a misting system. Allowing them to get their feet wet per say (pun intended) and realize how nice and benificial it is to have an automated system and eventually encouraging them to move up to bigger and better just as most of us do starting out with something simple like a single pair or group of auratus then next thing ya know you've got a frog room and a wall O tanks.

As a side note I probably wouldnt of gotten this system if it wasnt for the fact my girlfriend works at a petstore and got it for substantially less than retail :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hey Jason21, exactly where did you get those white wide angle nozzles?

I think I need some.

I have a monsoon I am hooking up next weekend.

I will report back on this thread my experience as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Remember....these are 2 different "animals"....

Mistking systems are always going to be superiour for rack systems,for instance.

This Exo product is a small "portable" one-off viv accessory.

2 very different products with different uses.

I'm still excited to see it. So....$90.00 retail huh? That means I can get it for @ 55.00 with my vendor account.

Like.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Jason21, exactly where did you get those white wide angle nozzles?
I happened to have some just sitting around but you can get there here too.
http://www.cloudtops.com/misting_sys...ingnozzles.php

Philsuma- you should be able to get it about that. I think it was somewhere around there with the little ladies employee discount.

Reactions: Venutus1

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well less than 24hrs and we have our first failure... (please hold the "I told you so"s till the end) after coming home from work today I went upstairs to check on the frogs and noticed hmm, the mister is out of water already. Odd because i had it set for every 12hrs and for 20 seconds... Thankfully I only put a gallon in so not too much waste.

I took the top off to investigate and sure enough it was FULL of water. Apparently the "quick connect" that runs through the top of the lid to the misting nozzle supply line had decided to leak. At which point i'm assuming it shorted the control board causing the motor to run constant. GOOD news is the thermal protection worked as the motor kicked itself off after attempting to run dry for a min or two.

a peak at the inner workings, notice the cute little china star motor

The culprit

After drying everything up I decided to see if i could simply fix it myself, so I pulled the line out, cut the end off nice and square (hoping this was the problem) replaced it, and sure enough, still leaks. I've come to the conclusion its a bad union. So... back to the store we go to exchange it, hopefully it was just a fluke. All in all not a good start, but hey these things happen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think they may have just been released this week. The store had just got them in that day we got it. I don't imagine this would be a common problem, and definitely not a sign of a manufacture problem as the union does appear to be a high quality one. Most likely a fluke, and well a perfect example of my terrible luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you know that thought crossed my mind too, but the new nozzles arent really any more restrictive than the old ones, just wider angle. The original nozzle actually has a smaller port and puts out a finer mist. After a little more fiddling around tonight, I was able to get the fitting to seal up, but the damage is alreaddy done to the circuit board from the water leaking.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Remember....these are 2 different "animals"....

Mistking systems are always going to be superiour for rack systems,for instance.

This Exo product is a small "portable" one-off viv accessory.

2 very different products with different uses.

I'm still excited to see it. So....$90.00 retail huh? That means I can get it for @ 55.00 with my vendor account.

Like.
55...thats about what I'd like to see this product sell for retail...maybe up to 70. At that price I'd likely try one, at 9 bucks less then the new mistking starter I gotta go mistking if I go automated ;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Pls inform if it's said it manual, how deep under ther viv it can be sitauted? I mean most external canister filters & the stuff like this, is strictly recomended to be under the viv in a specified lenght.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pls inform if it's said it manual, how deep under ther viv it can be sitauted? I mean most external canister filters & the stuff like this, is strictly recomended to be under the viv in a specified lenght.
I didnt see anything in the manual about line length, although i didnt look too hard. Out of the box your provided about 10' of line. so you have a fair amount of flexibility right there.

A side note, I did return the original for a replacement. First thing I did was check the quick-connect inside the top of the unit, that was good. Then this morning though i noticed that now the Tee where the line splits to the two nozzles is leaking. Fortunately it was just a case of the line not being seated completely pushed it in all the way and it was good to go. Other than that so far so good.

Reactions: Venutus1

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Looks like a whole lot of retail stores have this one the shelf now, and the retail price point is @ $90 bucks, which I still think is too high to get it into the hands of the average hobbyist.

Now a high-end reef tank or SW product, maybe....those people are used to paying $$ for stuff, but your average frog keeper......nah....I just don't think they will be stocking too many of these that will sit on the shelves for long periods of time....

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.