Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I would like to share a build I am currently in the process of working on. It is an Exo Terra 24x18x36. For the centerpiece, I have tied several large ghostwood pieces together to form the bulk of the tree, and then placed that over a piece of 3" PVC pipe for a little extra support. For lighting I am using an EVO Quad 24" fixture with 28 3W bulbs at 6500K (although I might need to buy one more smaller EVO to really light the whole thing). I had a custom piece of glass cut for the top with about a .75" strip for ventilation. The goal with this was to make mainly an epiphyte tank with broms and lots of vining plants (especially peperomias!). I may try my hand at miniature orchids at some point, if I can bite the bullet for the cost lol. Here are some pics (click images for true size)

Ghostwood centerpiece

Tank after initial planting

Some closeups of the broms

I have some NEHerp moss and microfauna coming in on Saturday, as well as a plant package with several awesome vining peperomias and a few other plants from another forum member that should be in tomorrow or Saturday.

Plant list so far:

Neo "Wild Tiger"
Neo "Hannibal Lector x Cheers"
Neo "Dartanion"
Neo "Checkerboard"
Korean Rock Fern
NOID pilea (I think it's a Pilea? It's the small green plant in the center on the floor of the viv, if anyone wants to take a stab at the ID)
NOID fern

Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the compliments everyone! As far as frogs, I am currently torn between leucs and R. imitator "Varadero". Leucs have always been my favorite frogs (and this tank will be my first PDF viv), but I really like the Varaderos too.... From what I've read both would do fine in a more vertically oriented setup. I probably won't end up with frogs for a couple months (possibly August, but more likely in November) so I have a while to decide :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have some NEHerp moss and microfauna coming in on Saturday, as well as a plant package with several awesome vining peperomias and a few other plants from another forum member that should be in tomorrow or Saturday.

Plant list so far:

Neo "Wild Tiger"
Neo "Hannibal Lector x Cheers"
Neo "Dartanion"
Neo "Checkerboard"
Korean Rock Fern
NOID pilea (I think it's a Pilea? It's the small green plant in the center on the floor of the viv, if anyone wants to take a stab at the ID)
NOID fern

Thanks!
I remember you saying you were in SFL, ever end up checking out that nursery on 72nd ave? 7750 SW 72nd Ave, worth a look, theyve got some cool stuff

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I remember you saying you were in SFL, ever end up checking out that nursery on 72nd ave? 7750 SW 72nd Ave, worth a look, theyve got some cool stuff
I haven't yet; I actually live up in Boca, so that nursery is a bit of a drive for me. But the next time I am in Miami I am definitely planning a trip there!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Very awesome tank and a very nice job for a first tank. May I ask where you got your ghostwood from?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just signed up for their insider program so I can't see myself, how much was the average piece of wood they offered?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just signed up for their insider program so I can't see myself, how much was the average piece of wood they offered?
They do it by size; I bought all mine from the largest category, and I think they were about 30$ a piece. Definitely a little pricey, but well worth it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's actually not too bad, considering most local petstores charge a LOT more where I'm from.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Luckily I bought all the pieces at the same time, so shipping wasn't too bad for all of them. The petstores around here only sell grapevine and cork, so luck get getting some locally

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you could cover that pvc in silicone and peat/coir and get it all mossed up to hide it...other than that it looks great.
Thank you! I actually covered it in Spyra (its just hard to see in the planted pics), that picture was taken a bit earlier in the build. The trunk actually doesn't get as much light as I thought it would, so it probably won't end up growing too much as far as moss/plants

1 - 20 of 50 Posts