Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting up a leuc tank 36x18x18. Found out that the double walled greenhouse paneling I use for aquarium lids works great covering exo terra screen lids. Lightweight so doesnt bow the lid, sturdy, and sits level with trim. Just cut a little short to allow for air flow. Hope someone finds this useful.

Attachments

·
Registered
710 Posts
Starting up a leuc tank 36x18x18. Found out that the double walled greenhouse paneling I use for aquarium lids works great covering exo terra screen lids. Lightweight so doesnt bow the lid, sturdy, and sits level with trim. Just cut a little short to allow for air flow. Hope someone finds this useful.
I do love that stuff, for certain applications. One potential caveat with this suggested application however - the material is polycarbonate. It has been implicated in BPA (an endocrine disruptor) release when in contact with water (as the lid of a humid viv might be; the water might also drip down into the enclosure and contact the animals).

I am no chemist, bio chemist, O chemist, etc. But you'll get my attention when you say "endocrine disruptor".

[QUOTE]BPA is a reproductive, developmental, and systemic toxicant, often classified as an endocrine-disrupting compound (EDC). BPA absorption into the body can result in the development of metabolic disorders such as low sex-specific neurodevelopment, immune toxicity, neurotoxicity and interference of cellular pathway.
Endocrine disrupting effects of bisphenol A exposure and recent advances on its removal by water treatment systems. A review[/QUOTE]

Not hating, not starting shit, not claiming...well, anything at all. Just pointing this out. Do as you like.

·
Super Moderator
2,695 Posts
That is a real bummer since I was all ready to go out and buy me some of that :-( It was a good find, clahoun. Makes me think maybe there are other equivalents out there that I haven't found that might be non-toxic. Keep up the search!

Mark

·
Registered
710 Posts
My own previous time investment and subsequent disappointment are working for you guys. Like I said, I love - I mean I really love - twinwall polycarbonate for various yard & garden applications. It's great for glazing awnings & thereby keeping door threshold areas clean and dry, but also naturally lit and so not dark & gloomy. It's the bomb for greenhouses and cold frames. You can even use it for translucent fencing, or windbreaks around a deck or hot tub or breezeway. So, being a fan, I of course pondered making some big vivs out of it. I even explored water-wise ways of joining & penetrating it - what will adhere to it for sealing seams, etc. Then I ran into the BPA thing. Bummer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jgragg,
This is what makes this forum so valuable. Individuals sharing failures, experiences, and knowledge with others. Thanks for the anecdotal and most importantly empirical based responses. The goal should always be furthering and improving husbandry.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does anyone know if thermal laminating pouches would be harmful for this purpose? I tried to find what they are made of but it was weirdly challenging to find an answer. All I could find was "polyester film." But then trying to find out if polyester film has anything harmful in it was just as challenging. Thought this might be a cheap solution that would be easy to cut to size.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about removing the screen and siliconing in 3/32 glass? Would that size glass be adequate?

·
Super Moderator
2,685 Posts
A 36 x 18 piece of 3/32 glass would be frighteningly fragile. I'd go minimum 3/16 tempered (I like tempered glass, because I dislike stitches).

I use acrylic set on top of the stock screens. By the time they bow from the humidity, it is time to clean them anyway so I flip them over.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A 36 x 18 piece of 3/32 glass would be frighteningly fragile. I'd go minimum 3/16 tempered (I like tempered glass, because I dislike stitches).

I use acrylic set on top of the stock screens. By the time they bow from the humidity, it is time to clean them anyway so I flip them over.
Sorry, to clarify it won't span whole tank just replace the areas of screen. So it would be 4 pieces of ~ 8"x17" 3/32

·
Super Moderator
2,685 Posts
Ah... I see. There's no lip to silicone too, though. How will that hold? Why remove the screen?

I still wouldn't use such thin glass, personally.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah... I see. There's no lip to silicone too, though. How will that hold? Why remove the screen?

I still wouldn't use such thin glass, personally.
I saw a Youtube video where silicone was laid in the channel the spline goes in. Apparently a thick enough bead and it holds. I removed the screen as I have read that it rusts rather quickly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I saw a Youtube video where silicone was laid in the channel the spline goes in. Apparently a thick enough bead and it holds. I removed the screen as I have read that it rusts rather quickly.

I think I may have seen the same video.

I ran a small bead of silicone around the lip of the frame with large deposits in the corners. I used 2 pieces of 3/16 glass for the 24X18 lid, this way the center spine of the lid was maintained for rigidity. Once the silicone had set I used a hobby knife and razor blade to clean up the outside.

This is still a work in progress as I'm just returning to the hobby. I'm cutting the vents and mister bulkhead holes today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, I'm new here. First post ever.

I designed this lid after we got our first terrarium last year on a whim and I immediately discovered that the stock screen tops are TERRIBLE for humidity retention.

Anyway, massive engineering overkill... but it works.

We're getting an upgraded terrarium now, 18x18" vs 12x12", and I'm back to where I was last year.

It's ridiculous that no one makes specific lids for this hobby.

We need a community repository of crowdsourced .stl files for every terrarium size that anyone could just grab and have printed up.

EDIT: BTW, your top looks way better than mine did keitht, I basically destroyed the stock one trying to do what you did.

viv_lid_finished.jpg viv_lid_withlight.jpg

-Robert

·
Super Moderator
2,685 Posts
Welcome to DB, Robert! The lid you made looks really sharp. :)

One reason dart-specific lids would be a challenge to provide is that there is a pretty wide range of enclosures (three or four brands of front-opening enclosures, and fish tanks) that people try to adapt. Additionally, one design won't fit all needs, since misting/lighting/ventilation needs are all different. Plus some of us throw a $2 piece of acrylic on top of the screen and have fine results (no, the screens haven't rusted).

Another sort of answer is that there is a dart specific lid available -- it is the one on the InSitu vivs, specifically designed for darts. Only available in one footprint size right now, but if the dart community wants special niche products, we'll have to buy them so that manufacturers create more products; in a sense, the chicken and the egg both come first and have to support each other. ;)

Reactions: Chris S

·
Registered
27 Posts
Another sort of answer is that there is a dart specific lid available -- it is the one on the InSitu vivs, specifically designed for darts. Only available in one footprint size right now, but if the dart community wants special niche products, we'll have to buy them so that manufacturers create more products; in a sense, the chicken and the egg both come first and have to support each other. ;)
This is actually a really good point. This hobby has a ton of DIY (others do as well, but this one sort of forces people into it), but one way to make this hobby more accessible to is support companies that have created some niche products for us. I myself have various converted exo terra's and some vivariums I have made from scratch, but I just purchased 2x InSitu viv's and am in the process of setting them up. It has allowed me to spend more time building the inside of it, rather than the outside. They certainly aren't for everyone - if money is a huge factor, these may not be affordable to many, for instance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts