Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here use the exo terra background using the silicone and coco fiber method?. I’m planning to buy the 18x18x36 exo terra because i like the look of the root background in the terrarium.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I left my background in, and accented it with silicone + coco coir. Nothing much wanted to grow on it at first, I do have a few vining plants on it now after 2 years.
Interesting. I'm considering doing something similar(-ish).
Question: If you were to do it again -- use the premade background but alter/add to it -- what would you do differently this time around?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Interesting. I'm considering doing something similar(-ish).
Question: If you were to do it again -- use the premade background but alter/add to it -- what would you do differently this time around?
I would glue things that actually retain moisture and have rough surfaces for plants to climb, i.e. cork and sphagnum.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's good to know. I've been thinking about using the background that came with the new viv I'm building up, and gluing on some cork and other supplies that I have lying around. I wasn't sure how if/how cocofiber would adhere to that kind of Styrofoam background. You're giving me ideas. :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
That's good to know. I've been thinking about using the background that came with the new viv I'm building up, and gluing on some cork and other supplies that I have lying around. I wasn't sure how if/how cocofiber would adhere to that kind of Styrofoam background. You're giving me ideas. :)
Coco fiber will adhere to styrofoam, but it doesn’t really provide any moisture or benefit other than looking nicer than the styrofoam.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have covered the back grounds the come with the tanks with silicone and coco fiber or whatever. They functioned the same a greatstuff covered with the same materials.

I was using it for pumilio so all I needed was for bromeliads to grow on the background. They liked it just fine. If you want the background to be more "useful" glue some cork flat shelves and/or rounds to it to make shelves or planters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts