Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding my viv after the old one decided to crack, it was built out of plexi and plexi warps more than I realized it would.

This was the original build
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/22002-60-gallon-construction.html

I decided to go with an Exo-Terra 18x24x36" extra-high tank, so hopefully it will last much longer this time around. I am moving most of the old rocks to the new tank but had to make some new rocks to fill in since the new tank is not the same size. I also removed the big wood stump and the water feature this time because I am hoping to raise Pumilios in the new tank and wanted to have more room for leaf litter and a clay substrate.

This shows the first steps of making new rocks. The white "rocks" are the ethafoam

this shows the first couple coats of underlayment

These are after a couple more layers

So after finishing sculpting I decided that I wanted more room on the back wall for plants and the rocks took up too much room, so out they came!!
These are some photos after the painting

I added a piece of ghostwood

Next corkbark and tree fern was added to the back wall and another small piece of ghostwood

So that is everything so far. I have ordered lots of broms and will put them in next week along with the mistking. I have not yet figured out how I am going to do the top, take out the screen and add glass inside the panels of the current top or take out the support and do all glass.

For anyone wanting to know how to make the rocks please look at the original post linked at the top for all of the instructions.

I need plant suggestions!!! I want some orchids for the branches and some creepers(NO FICUS PUMILIO!!!! It distroyed the last tank. I am thinking about some Columnea and Hoya mounted on the back wall.

·
Registered
527 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yeah!! seriously!!! I wish I had your skills with making rocks!!!.. Your method of background is by far my favorite!! So much more natural looking and ( so much cleaner) looking against the clay or GS /Peat moss because of the fine Detail. I agree!! your first build was my favorite one I used!!! it sucks about the tank warping!! ( IMO) take the wire mesh OUT!! No matter what anyone says ( it will rust) weather 2 months from now or ( 2 years).. do you want to go back and pull it out 1 year from now?? ( i had to do that because i listened to someone who said " it will not rust" and of course... it DID!! did it to all 7 of my exos ( when humidity is at 85 to 90%) in them for 15 months , just get rid of it!!. as far

as the ( one big glass or the smaller ones) I have done both methods on my own tanks. ( Really on Preference) I love the ( one big glass look) plus, it allows more light in around the tank as i find the light gets " chopped" up by the dividers ( unless you use the exo canopies). but if you plan on a T5.. one big glass for sure. I'm sure there will be plenty who will disagree ;)

rest is out of my league when it comes to plants..( so cant help there)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Subscribed, your 60g was epic ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Subscribed. Your rock builds are better than any I can recall.

As for plants, you may want to look into some of these:

* = my favorites

*Philodendron sp. 'Burle Marx Fantasy'
*Philodendron camposportoanum
*Philodendron micans
Philodendron squamiferum (larger growing)
*Philodendron verrucosum (larger growing but beautiful foliage)
*Rhaphidophora pachyphylla (really tiny aroid; Black Jungle sells this one as Rhaphidophora sp.)
Rhaphidophora hayi
Rhaphidophora cryptantha
*Syngonium rayii will climb given enough time but it's a good low-light plant for the bottom as well
*Begonia glabra
Begonia eleagnifolia - both species have nice climbing habits with age
Begonia prismatocarpa
*Microgramma spp. (lycopodioides, heterophylla, vaccinifolia seem to be the most common)
*Microsorum linguiforme (cool epiphytic fern)
*Davallia parvula
*Davallia sessilifolia (more cool creeping epiphytic ferns)
Columnea allenii (if you can find some)
*Columnea microphylla
*Ficus sp. 'Panama' is much slower growing than pumila; highly recommended
Cissus amazonica (really nice once established)
Cissus discolor
*Marcgravia spp. (One green sp. circulates around Dendroboard as well as rectiflora)
*Peperomia prostrata
Peperomia rotundifolia
*Piper crocatum (not very common but it's a cool climber if you can find it)

I don't usually use a lot of orchids ($$$) but here are some that I've used/would like to use:
*Pleurothallis grobyi
*Pleurothallis brighamii
Haraella odorata
Schoenorchis fragrans
Platystele misera
Restrepia brachypus
Scaphosepalum rapax
Bulbophyllum lasiochilum
Masdevallia estradae
Masdevallia erinacea

Most of those I listed are creepers/climbers/epiphytes that will grow on the background.

Cheers

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got my bromeliads in the mail today and just finished cleaning them. I am very happy with them, they look even nicer in person. I hope they will all fit!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Awesome tank and beautiful broms. Can't wait to see the tank planted with them! Subscribed to this thread too.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The original was always an inspiration for rock work...sad to hear it cracked. I'm glad to see you were able to "re-purpose" the rocks, and the blending work looks great.

For your climbing plants, some Marcgravia rectiflora will work well on the cork (it doesn't seem to like growing on anything but wood). Some of the smaller-leafed Philo. spp. will do well on the rock. I like the look of P. camposportoanum, or P. 'grazielle' for your tank...but that's just a personal thought.

You may also look into some of the smaller species of Elaphoglossum ferns. E. lanceolatum or E. standleyi look awesome on rocks.

There are some nice orchids that are naturally lithophytic that would look right at home in your setup. Laelia liliputiana and Laelia fourneiri both grow on limestone rock in Brazil--and would do well in the higher light/temps at the top of a vivarium.

Looking forward to seeing the completed project!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the plant tips, I need all I can get. I really want to make sure I don't get anything that will take over the tank this time around.
I love the look of the Marcgravia, but does it grow too fast? Also I can't seem to find any place to buy it online. Anybody know where to get it?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking great. Did you use mortar on the rocks? I echo the comment on the screen for exos.. I have seen a number of them rust. Can't wait to see the finished product.
I used underlayment cement like the original build. I used Henry's brand underlayment which is not nearly as nice as the Ardex product, but much cheaper.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Where did you order those broms from? They rock!

Reactions: Chrissy

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The original was always an inspiration for rock work...sad to hear it cracked. I'm glad to see you were able to "re-purpose" the rocks, and the blending work looks great.

For your climbing plants, some Marcgravia rectiflora will work well on the cork (it doesn't seem to like growing on anything but wood). Some of the smaller-leafed Philo. spp. will do well on the rock. I like the look of P. camposportoanum, or P. 'grazielle' for your tank...but that's just a personal thought.

You may also look into some of the smaller species of Elaphoglossum ferns. E. lanceolatum or E. standleyi look awesome on rocks.

These Elaphoglossum ferns sound great, but I can't seem to find any available. Any ideas where to find these?

The orchids I found on Andy's Orchids.

·
Registered
903 Posts
You will want to check with rareferns.com for the Elaphoglossum. Charles is limited on his offerings right now, but usually has some unique varieties. Also, www.ecuagenera.com has a nice selection of Elaphoglossum and Dicranoglossum available.

Marcgravia is a fairly hardy vivarium plant, but is easy to manage. Mine grow at about 1/3 the speed of most Philodendron varieties. If no one on the board has any for sale, I should be able to pick up some more next month--so shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You will want to check with rareferns.com for the Elaphoglossum. Charles is limited on his offerings right now, but usually has some unique varieties. Also, www.ecuagenera.com has a nice selection of Elaphoglossum and Dicranoglossum available.

Marcgravia is a fairly hardy vivarium plant, but is easy to manage. Mine grow at about 1/3 the speed of most Philodendron varieties. If no one on the board has any for sale, I should be able to pick up some more next month--so shoot me a PM.
Thanks so much. This is a huge help, I must have looked through 20 dealers last night looking for the ferns.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts