Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, for a background would i need to add egg crate in the background for grip so the foam wont slide off later on? or is adding expanding foam directly to glass perfectly fine? this is going to be a heavily planted vivarium and just wanted to hear any opinions :)

· Registered
214 Posts
Expanding foam will stick to glass.

The trick is to make the first layer as small a bead as possible. In my experience rows of 1/4" beads allows the best contact to glass. Often when you go full flow the expanding foam pulls away from the glass while curing.

You will always get some foam pulling away, but with a thin layer first it's easy to build on with subsequent layers.

I do the same thing when adding foam to silicone.

Additionally I would let the foam cure a full 24 hrs before carving or adding a second layer and make sure the glass is clean! I use some solvent before foaming to ensure there are no oils present.

· Registered
791 Posts
I haven't used the egg crate onto glass then GS yet. You'll want to silicone wherever you apply GS on your glass. I've heard it'll eventually peel away if not.

Loading bowls and building vivs! Braaap!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,095 Posts
What I do is I glue pieces of cork bark/driftwood to the back pane before applying the foam, that way the foam has more to grab on to.
I never bothered with covering the hole back with silicone but I'll put a few beads of silicone here and there for some extra grab.
So far I never had a background pull off.

· Registered
983 Posts
Eggcrate then foam is more for if you want a removable custom background. It gives you a solid back so you can make it outside the viv.
I do like Sammie, silicone some wood in place then place a few tracks of silicone then spray the foam on. Go slow and do it in several layers if you intend to carve it later.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Btw ... Where can I huy cheap black silicone??? Is any cheap brand OK? Does it have to be waterproof? I went to an aquarium store and bought a 3 OZ black silicone for $12!!! That's barely going to fill up the corner!

· Premium Member
3,307 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK so first I glue with silicone any driftwood I would like right? Let it cure 24 hours and then next day I add beads of silicone around the back of the tank and then spray foam how I want it to be...let it dry... And then cover the whole foam background with black silicone and add cocofibers... Is this right? This is my first vivarium I'm making out of foam and silicone

· Premium Member
3,307 Posts
The True Value option is good. I have heard you can get brown and black Silicone I from them. Ace Hardware also has their own brand that I have used quite a bit, but it's not cheap ($7.50 or so a tube). Be careful with Lowe's and Home Depot for colored silicone. I have never seen black or brown Silicone I at either place but they both carry black and brown Silicone II. Silicone II has organotins in it so I would avoid those.

Mark

· Premium Member
3,307 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.