Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do yall ever move your lights around to keep your plants from growing in the same direction?

I have the TincMan LED strip bulbs and I try to move them forward and back every couple of weeks. My thought is that moving them to the front of the tank gets more light to the understory in the back of the tank, but if I leave them there, I worry my plants will grow out toward the front rather than up toward the back. So, I move the lights. But may this is just a weird superstition of mine?!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I move and dim lights for the animals, it's one thing that I would prefer to automate, unlike misting which I really enjoy doing with a pump sprayer.

Although I like exo terras for the doors and dimensions, I find the cheap plastic crossbars get in the way of my will. I don't use a glass panel with anyone inc my frogs.

·
Super Moderator
2,682 Posts
I use Spectral Design panels, which cover nearly the entire top of the viv, so no moving for me.

I guess I more or less unconsciously consider which way the plants will grow when I place them, and so try to exploit their phototropic tendencies.

Goofy idea: it would make some sense to put the light on a motorized rail that moves the light across the viv over the course of a day. We used to use these in reef tanks in the early-mid 2000s, and it looks like they are still used in indoor horticulture:

Reactions: azandis

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Goofy idea: it would make some sense to put the light on a motorized rail that moves the light across the viv over the course of a day. We used to use these in reef tanks in the early-mid 2000s, and it looks like they are still used in indoor horticulture.
Wow, that is a great idea! It'd be interesting to know if simulating the sunpath like that would trigger phenological responses like breeding? ... probably less of an issue for equatorial species than for temperate species, I guess.

·
Super Moderator
2,682 Posts
Well, my thought was to simulate daily changes in lighting (like the exposing of darkened areas to light during certain times of the day), rather than the seasonal lighting fluctuations that motivate breeding in other species. These seasonal variations can be made by using a simple astronomical timer or something more sophisticated such as a Neptune Apex controller. I do have such a timer in my reptile room, though not all lights are controlled by it; I got it to possibly help a bit with cycling of animals that don't necessarily get a considerable winter cooling.

Other aspects of daily lighting patterns could be simulated with controllable LEDs that can adjust color temps on a programmable daily ramping schedule -- I don't know which models have this capability.

None of this is useful for the species of frogs I like to keep, thankfully. ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sense! I usually just manually adjust my timers at the equinoxes, but I'm always tempted by fancier, automated solutions!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
There are limited opportunities in a captive space to apply a departure from uniformity that align with evolved 'neural expectation'.

As keepers we get away with alot but perhaps some gentle and astute departures help to compose a kind of courtesy of life quality that doesn't particularly present with a 'visible' pay off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts