Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel awful to even be considering this, but I have to at least explore the possibility. My red bellied toads have been breeding like mad and it took me a lot of trial and error to eventually separate the males from the females and prevent any more. But it was too late - I ended up with almost 250 tadpoles and most of them have either become or are in the process of becoming froglets. In the past, I never had a high success rate of breeding them, I had 5 babies in 5 years and now I have 50x that amount in 6 months, it's been crazy. My room is full of frogs. I have managed to rehome some locally, ship some off to zoos half way across the country, I still have 40 frogs but 100 tadpoles. I am running out of space and rescue centers and may have to reduce the tadpoles to stop the flow.

I need a really humane way of doing this. Forget bricks, boiling water or freezing - I have read many extremely disturbing methods that people have used and this is not humane. I need a painless, calm and effective way of doing this, ideally something that I can drop into the water.

I read Benzocaine could be used to put them to sleep - if I buy something over the counter from the pharmacy, how would I dissolve this in water?

Thanks,
Matthew

·
Administrator
4,523 Posts
Here are the current AVMA Euthanisia guidelines:

https://www.avma.org/sites/default/files/2020-01/2020-Euthanasia-Final-1-17-20.pdf

Without rereading this again -- you can check -- I recall that MS222 would be the agent of choice for this situation. OTC Benzocaine is used full strength applied as a drop to each animal, though perhaps with some research you could figure out a dilution ratio (likely be an expensive proposition with Oragel).

FWIW, you'll find in there that blunt force cranial trauma that ensures the destruction of the brain is an approved method, so something like the brick you mention -- crushing the head quickly and completely -- is considered humane by the AVMA. It is my method of choice for small animals.

Reactions: Minch

·
Registered
192 Posts
Have you considered selling them? I would think there would be a market for CB fire bellies (you said red bellied toads but I am assuming they are one in the same) as they are not that common in the hobby. This would also lesson the need for wild caught animals albeit in a very very slight way. Just throwing it out there but just did a quick search and Josh's frogs sells CB FBT for $50 and I believe they have a program where they will buy CB animals from hobbyists such as yourself. Maybe reach out to them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much, that's all useful info. I was in touch with a provider of fish anaesthesia in Canada as well but they are out of the product that would be perfect (the other option with them is a $725 tub of vet grade product) - I may have to go with the Benzo. But this is a last ditch option - I 100% prefer to try and rehome them, since they are my responsibility and Im not itching to kill anything just because they might not be convenient. I have rehomed a few - and actually sold some to a local pets store, but I will try Josh's frogs, too. $50 a pop would be great - but ultimately, just finding them a good home would be best.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you do go the euthanizing route, look into clove oil. That is commonly used as a humane way to euthanize fish and I believe amphibians as well.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Minch,

Are these fire bellied toads?

·
Administrator
4,523 Posts
If you do go the euthanizing route, look into clove oil. That is commonly used as a humane way to euthanize fish and I believe amphibians as well.
Not approved by AVMA, though, as far as I know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts